Author Topic: Mass Exodous  (Read 4534 times)

Offline busybee

Mass Exodous
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »
Is it me or this a mass exodous of expats going back to Blighty.  Are people now voting with their feet rather than their wallets.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Mass Exodous
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 07:45:37 AM »
I don't know about "mass exodus" but I know of someone going back for health reasons and someone because the money has run out (interest now too low), I've heard of no-one going back because of the changes, actually none of the changes have come into effect apart from residency costs. Lots of people threatening to go back though.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:51:20 AM by Diverbaz 1 »

Offline busybee

Mass Exodous
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
Out of seven of us "Goldon Moonies" 1 has gone back to the UK and 3 more are up for sale and planning to do the same.......

Offline captainjon

• Ignore - Total Dickhead
Mass Exodous
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:32 AM »
I do believe a lot of people are becoming disenchanted with continual changes in various laws and finding themselves receiving unexpected bills,ie road charges. Also the confusing application of these retrospective changes. Additionally, the changes in the buying and selling of cars and motorcycles,which now require a residency for same.As well as the anticipated changes in the visa/residency situation. Also the necessity of having to join the SSK program whether, or not you can afford private treatment.The sum total of these changes do not give people a feeling of security of life style,but of a feeling of repression.In addition, the ability of peoples coming from the east to enter Turkey without any sort of visa seems to me to compound the problem.Hence people are leaving or discussing leaving.Lets hope the discussions supposed to take place between between the British and Turkish foreign offices by the autumn have a more positive ending.

Offline hubblebubble

Mass Exodous
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
..burasi Turkiye!
Re all the changes the answer is wait for the answers which will hopefully come next week.
Turkish law and bureacracy is just as frustrating for the Turks as it is for us.
Interpretation of law is not applied the same way in all regions either.
Yes it is very frustrating that we are seen as money trees with an endless ability to supply cash.
Regsrding vehicles I have never understood why folks buy rather than lease given the latter option removes all the bureaucratic headaches and is a cost effective  option.
You have the EU, UN and World Bank to thank for the UHI - theoreticly it is a good thing but like all social welfare it has to cost someone!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Mass Exodous
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »
Not been here long enough to comment properly.

I still believe the quality of life here (and associated costs) are twice as high for half the price of the UK  :)

I was also surprised to speak with someone very reliable last Sunday who is of Eastern European origin and they said - Russian (eastern bloc) people have always needed a residency to purchase a property  (might mean vehicles as well?) and although the visa may be free / cheaper - it only lasts for 2-months - which I suspect means they too have to do a visa run but more often than the British!

I think at times many (British) think we are being victimised when the truth is more likely that it is the same for all foreigners as loopholes are tightened - particularly to raise much needed taxes.

As regards to people leaving - there does seem to be more "noises" and I am sure that will not help the property market but likely demand will come from new residents?

I don't think many people will make or lose a large percentage on a sale - but we never expected to - we just wanted a slower pace at an affordable price - which we find here.

Ian

Offline col

Mass Exodous
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »

It's not just you Busybee, there seems to be many here who will wait and see how their incomes are effected IF some of these new 'so called compulsory' laws come in. But it does seem obvious that changes will come about in some form or another.
It's not just here or Brit ex pats, on one of the Antalya forums there are many nationals from other European countries thinking the same.
Like some on this forum, it seems the Turkish govt thinks most ex pats are 'walking wallets' with a never ending pot of cash.

quote:
Originally posted by busybee

Is it me or this a mass exodous of expats going back to Blighty.  Are people now voting with their feet rather than their wallets.

Offline BM06

Mass Exodous
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »
In the last 5 years the way prices have increased (inflation) interest rates decreased to an all time low, iMHO the amount you need to live on(without any additional income), not just exist, ie a reasonable standard of life, is over 200k sterling, which would give you approx 16k at 8% for a family of 2 thats about 7k each after the new cost introduced, hardly living the high life is it? Turkey has become unaffordable for some ex pats and I agree that there does seem to be a situation brewing for a mass exodus, I think its a shame because and I can only speak for this area, the money spent over the winter period was non existent 11 years ago and a lot of locals get a good living from us EX pats

Offline col

Mass Exodous
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
I think that many can only but agree with your post on this.
My apt here is also up for sale, not to move back to the UK....yet!!!
but to buy a less costly apt for various reasons.
Some of the estate agents my apt is up for sale with have said to me, that some of their 'possible buyers' have decided against even viewing over here at the moment, until they see what's going to happen with some of these new laws and changes,  IF they come into force. Despite property here still being one of cheaper places to purchase, Turkey is not being seen (at the moment) as a place that may have been number 1 on their list a few years ago. This can only be bad news in general for the tourist trade, builders, estate agents, bars, shops etc etc, the list could go on.

quote:
Originally posted by BM06

In the last 5 years the way prices have increased (inflation) interest rates decreased to an all time low, iMHO the amount you need to live on(without any additional income), not just exist, ie a reasonable standard of life, is over 200k sterling, which would give you approx 16k at 8% for a family of 2 thats about 7k each after the new cost introduced, hardly living the high life is it? Turkey has become unaffordable for some ex pats and I agree that there does seem to be a situation brewing for a mass exodus, I think its a shame because and I can only speak for this area, the money spent over the winter period was non existent 11 years ago and a lot of locals get a good living from us EX pats

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:37:31 AM by col »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
I would suggest that reasons that "possible buyers" have decided against even viewing over there at the moment could well be because they don't have any "possible buyers". I agree with many of the points in this topic but certainly not that one. We can all make stupid excuses for not getting people through the door but the truth is people are either coming to buy or they aren't. I haven't had one client say they were waiting to see what happens with any new laws!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf