Author Topic: Mass Exodous  (Read 4532 times)

Offline scouser2

Mass Exodous
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »
I have noticed a number of people that we used to see 'out and about' have gone missing.Also, a lot of the owners on ours and the neighbouring complexes have not been over this year.They have told us that it is cheaper to get a half-board holiday elsewhere, than the cost of flights to Turkey. One owner stayed at an all-inclusive in Olu Deniz with his family this year,and he reckoned that this was cheaper than staying in his own apartment.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 12:12:28 PM »
Worrying but understandable when people are not visiting their own properties due to flight costs!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
You still own the property when you are at the all inclusive!!!

Offline scouser2

Mass Exodous
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
Our neighbour reckoned it was only 200 GBP dearer than the cost of the flights for the 5 of them for 2 weeks. He reckoned he was well better off.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »
And this is evidence of a mass exodus because..?

Offline kirkb

Mass Exodous
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
We are due out in 3 weeks time for 3 weeks to view properties in the Calis area,and after researching costs, accesabilty  etc have come to the view that although property prices are still cheaper than the Costas the 'costs' of living in Turkey - (visas, insurance, flight costs, meat, wine, fuel) is probably higher than in Spain. What will happen in the future is certainly more unpredictable in Turkey, so the decision we, and other prospective buyers have to make is if the lifestyle is worth the unpredictabilty.
Having been to Turkey previously only on holidays it will be interesting to compare the difference in 'living' costs for 3 weeks compared to 'holiday' costs.
Although it must also be noted that cost will be not the major reason we deide to invest or not

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 13:06:24 PM »
Yes but you list things specifically more expensive in Turkey - "visas, insurance, flight costs, meat, wine, fuel" - there are hundreds that are cheaper.

Offline Harmless

Mass Exodous
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 13:56:17 PM »
Snap to Scunner with regard to viewers.
I also am not so sure that people are going back because of the proposed law changes.
I think there would always be people going back to their country of origin, for the simple reason they miss their families.  Also, as they get older they worry about their health more and therefore, the cost of treatment here.  Some are going back due to the drop in interest and the rising costs of living.
Me, I may go back due to lack of rain, promised today but not yet arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Mass Exodous
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 14:01:23 PM »
I suppose you have to weigh up whether you want to buy and live there or simply buy a holiday home. Personally - after owning a holiday home for 7 years I have very few regrets. Yes it's costing more to get over there compared to say Spain or Portugal but the initial layout is much less for a similar property. You also don't have the property 'grab' that is still going on in parts of Spain.

Knowing what we know now though I think if we were looking to buy now (to move) that we would definitely rent for at least 6 months first. This would give us an idea of what lifestyle changes we would have to make and what day to day living costs are really like. That way if things go badly at least we would still have our UK property to come home to. If it's good then we would have had time to survey the property market and hopefully find our dream home.

What we intend to do long term is maybe spend 2-3 months there 2 times a year (visas permitting) and with no need to book months in advance due to work commitments I would hope we might pick up a bargain or two on the flight front.

Offline Dizzy Jan

Mass Exodous
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 14:13:16 PM »
I have to say that the reason we would return would be money and the law changes. I think there are big changes afoot in the way  the Turkish government is working, not sure how it will effect us ex pats and its very worrying. When you come over here your income is fixed be it pension or invested money you can no longer improve your circumstances (not allowed to work). Things have really gone up in the last year and with the interest falling they really is no other option for people but to return to England. Does not matter whether you want to do, its the only sane thing to do. At the end of the day the only thing to do at the moment is wait and see what happens and hope all we become clear and we can make an INFORMED decision

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf