Author Topic: Changes to Apartment  (Read 2063 times)

Offline mstocker

Changes to Apartment
« on: October 18, 2010, 22:14:26 PM »
Hi

I am on a complex of 12 apartments. I am on the ground floor and would like to close my back terrace in with windows and shutters. We dont use the back terrace and it seems a waste of space. So would like to make it into a sun room. Does anyone know if I would have to let the Belediye know and can the other owners stop me from doing this.

Thanks for your help

Mandie

Offline SteveJ

Changes to Apartment
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 22:55:25 PM »
Mandie
I posted a similar request recently because I wanted to convert my back terrace into an en-suite bathroom. The short answer is "forget it". I went to the council office and with the help of SunnyD asked the Head of Planning for permission. His answer was that you can change as much as you want to on the terrace but what you can't do is enclose the space with walls, even plastic ones. Do what we do and use it for drying clothes?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Changes to Apartment
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 23:08:40 PM »
Yes the short answer was and is "forget it". The long answer (favoured by SteveJ) is to go to the council office and with the help of SunnyD asked the Head of Planning for permission. His answer was that you can change as much as you want to on the terrace but what you can't do is enclose the space with walls, even plastic ones.

:D

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Changes to Apartment
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »
Yet I know a few Turkish families that have done just that with their upstairs (front) verandas. Both enclosed with plastic windows and sliding doors. Maybe you can do it with glass then?

Offline SteveJ

Changes to Apartment
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:00:06 PM »
Even with plastic they've done it without permission and if anyone complains to the Council they can be forced to return it to the original state.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Changes to Apartment
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 15:28:24 PM »
That's the key Steve (complaints) - they are both Turkish families and one is the site manager. However - on thinking we also have an English couple who have converted their front veranda into a conservatory (with wood and glass). It looks great but they were told if anyone complains that it will have to be taken down. That was about 4 years ago.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Changes to Apartment
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 15:38:27 PM »
I still think it makes a difference where the enclosed area is within the footprint of the property. The upstairs balcony at Saglik is part of the 'block' so would probably be ok. The terrace is external to the living space and would be a different matter altogether. As stated though, if nobody ever complains, nothing would happen in most cases.

Offline SteveJ

Changes to Apartment
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 17:29:00 PM »
I might have taken the risk if I was simply installing wood and glass walls (not too much bother or expense to take them down again if someone complained) but I wanted to enclose the space by brick walls, rendered on the outside, tiled on the inside and install plumbing, drains, handbasin, toilet and shower. Much too risky!

My rear terrace juts out from the main building line by about 20cms but the Planning guy didn't even ask about that. His refusal was immediate and as far as I could tell, non-negotiable. Balconies and Terraces are deemed as 'empty spaces' and must remain so.

Offline Firo

Changes to Apartment
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 19:14:50 PM »
We were told today by someone in the building trade here, that you can put up plastic, wood or UPVC, to enclose a balcony, as you can argue that they come down in the summer therefore are only classified as temporary. If someone complains then it's also easy to remove.
What they will NOT allow is any thing made with bricks etc as this is classified as a permanent structure.

Offline mstocker

Changes to Apartment
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 00:51:20 AM »
Thanks for that info. I did go to the Belediye and they said if I am not
putting up walls or using bricks then they have no objection. It will be just windows and upvc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf