Author Topic: Wills and inheritance.  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Bohemian

Wills and inheritance.
« on: March 27, 2011, 16:06:52 PM »
Does anyone have the definitive answer to the question: Do I need a Turkish Will?   I have looked at many websites, including the Turkish Embassy!! and there seems to be 2 answers, Yes and No.    Some say my English Will overrides the Turkish regulations, and others say that Turkish rules apply, i.e. the civil code and division of goodies.    This is important as I have just bought an apartment here.    Any experiences or advice out there?[:(!]

Offline Firo

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 16:30:14 PM »
I look forward to seeing if you can get a definitive answer on that one. Many have tried but I don't think any have succeeded yet... 8)

Offline ovaciksarah

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 19:06:48 PM »
I had the same problem, slo thought best to be safe and just done my turkish will, was told it was the only way that things would go smoothly for my son if I died, othersise it could be months or years.
Was told Turkey does not recognise english will, as well, laws are different here, other half entitled to half and children half, so only wanted my son to inherit.

Offline OvacikOldBoy

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 15:54:06 PM »
Hi,

You need to do a Turkish Will

Offline kimshed

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 14:20:18 PM »
Hi who did you use to draw up your Will in Turkey? and roughly what cost please.

Offline Carpete

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 21:58:51 PM »
Apparently a  UK will is recognised in Turkey, as are POA's if they are properly composed, witnessed and most essentially important, apostilised (ie. certified) by the Foreign Office. It is sent back to you  from the FO with a certificate attached and stamped which means it can be used as a legal document in Turkey.  Cost 3/4 years ago was under £30 plus the cost of drawing up the documents. A notary (rather than a solicitor) in the UK can draw up a POA  (£60 3/4 years ago) and will also post it off for you if requested. The Turkish Embassey website used to have a comprehensive section on this.  I would suggest that this document would then need to be translated and put through the Turkish legal system. Hope this helps. There are also law firms that have offices in both Turkey and the UK which might be worth a phone call ( find via dear old Google!).

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 22:52:21 PM »
We visited our Solicitor in the U.K. when we bought our place in Calis(6 years ago) and we asked for it to be put in our Will. He told us it was not possible to do that and we must make a will in Turkey concerning any property and goods we owned there.  So has the law now changed[?] if so will give him a ring.  
We did, after this advice make a will in Fethiye with just our Turkish property in it. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 22:53:21 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 07:33:22 AM »
We had the same experience as Jacqui and I asked the question via the foreign office website to be told the same. So we had will drawn up in Fethiye however it was ages ago so I couldnt tell you the cost.

Offline ovaciksarah

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
Did my will with Alper in the notary round the side, over the road from central Migros.  Had no problems, only needed translation of passport and original.  You can ask 2 Turkish citicens to sign or he asks 2 girls upstairs for 10tl each.  His phone number is o532 284 8635 only took about half an hour

Offline patrice

Wills and inheritance.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
Hi can I be checky and ask how much this cost you Sarah.[?]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf