Author Topic: Shared internet?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline scouser2

Shared internet?
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
Our new Turkish neighbour has told us that he wants to share our internet. We explained to him that the package we have is what we need to run our internet and TV. Last night he told us that he is going to run his wifi from our landline telephone and told us what our phone number is! My question is this...Can he run his internet from our facilities without our permission? It appears that he has already started to set this up as Turk Telecom have given him our phone number.

Offline barry44544

Shared internet?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
Is he offering you money for this???
shared line=less speed...

Offline scouser2

Shared internet?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »
He said he will pay his share, but we are doubtful of this. We have told him that we do not want to share,(as we have Dreambox TV system and we watch some TV from the internet) but he is being very pushy about this. I am worried that if we do not agree, He may go ahead without our permission.I know will it affect our download speed, but I am worried that it will affect our ability to receive phone calls if he is using the internet.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Shared internet?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
Not necessarily.....you can pick up someones number from the phone book. If your internet is not a secure line make it so and no one can access it with out the password :)

Offline scouser2

Shared internet?
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 13:19:35 PM »
We are not wifi, we have modem/landline. Can he run his wifi from us as we live directly above him?

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
Shared internet?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 14:04:38 PM »
The simple answer is NO he cannot connect to you unless you have a wireless network and then he can only connect to that ( if you have one )with your password, he may be able to see you by him searching for a wifi connection in the area but without your password he cannot connect to you, tell him to go away and buy his own as he just wants to get onto the internet for nothing or on the cheap if you do allow him access to your network it will slow your connection to a slower rate therefore your tv internet connection will suffer, plus if you have a internet allowance from you provider you may exceed this and you will have pay a lot more in connection fees for a lessor service.

Always make sure you have a very good password and don't use names or birthdays as passwords keep them safe, it is possible to hack into any wireless network if you have the correct software so keep changing you passwords every so often, at least every two months keep yourself safe from the outside world.................they are watching you!!!!

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
Shared internet?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 14:09:46 PM »
Forgot to say,  that your telephone and internet are split into two so it does not matter how long you are on the internet it will not effect your telephone service, hope this info help's.

Offline posleeds

Shared internet?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 18:19:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by scouser2

We are not wifi, we have modem/landline. Can he run his wifi from us as we live directly above him?

We use TTNET also with a modem/landline - it took us about 6 months to realise the modem was wireless - it doesn't have an antenna like we had in the UK  :-\

We do share our internet connection with a neighbour....every month on "payday" if payment not already made, we change the password - via TTNET's website (I think that's the only was you can do it) - the new password generated is always so obscure no one would ever guess it.
If you need help with this-please send e-mail through my profile.

Offline scouser2

Shared internet?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 23:07:46 PM »
Many thanks to you all for your advice and help.

Offline superpp

Shared internet?
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 08:53:36 AM »
with ADSL, there is a username and password set by the ISP on the router.
you can't change this, so the neighbour won't be able to connect his own router to your line.

the router has wifi passwords for connecting to, you can share these if you wish.
be careful though, as you are liable for whatever is downloaded.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf