Author Topic: Swapping ebooks  (Read 14924 times)

Offline Bluwise

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 20:26:46 PM »
I.T. challenged here - will this work with ipad2 and e-reader as well ?

Offline Jim Fraser

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 20:39:03 PM »
Steve - I do not have a list of titles, will be over in Fethiye later this month with the discs, I will start to get the titles in some kind of order then.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 20:47:23 PM »
Sue if you download the Calibre software application (its free)it will manage your e-book library and convert very easily from one format to another. All you do when you install it is say what type of device you mainly use and this becomes the default.

Offline jackstee

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 22:04:32 PM »
Ok, Done it.

Steve very kindly sent me an e.book. I have now downloaded Calibre and can read it on my PC.

Can format to my Sony format but have not yet down loaded it to Sony Reader. (second stage)

Kindly send all your e.books to my e.mail address and I can spend some time in reading bliss.

Steve

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 22:20:55 PM »
Jim
It would help me greatly if you could sort the list in this order,

Author Surname, Author firstname. Title, Genre (if you know it)

For eanmple.

Pratchett, Terry, Going Postal, Fantasy

Tonight I've received a list of ebooks from Happy Monday so I'm beaving away collating them into a catalogue. 2,000 catalogued, 8,000 to go. Thanks Doug!!:D

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 20:15:25 PM »
The catalogue of 'ebooks for sharing' now stands at 3,012 so I'm going to assume that even the most discerning reader out there will be able to find something to their liking in that lot. There are still 7,681 books to catalogue and I've only done my collection and some of HappyMonday's. There's still Jim Fraser's list to add and if anyone else wants to add their ebooks to the catalogue then send me a list in the format that I gave to Jim in a previous post.

OK so here's how to get your ehands on a free ebook.....

1. First get yourself a copy of the catalogue by sending me an email via my profile. Just put "Ebook catalogue please" as the title, there's no need to include any text. I will send you an MS EXCEL spreadsheet as I've assumed that most people will have EXCEL on their PC's. If you don't and have no way of converting it then get in touch with me and I'll fathom a way of getting it into another format that your PC will read (.csv probably)

2. I'll keep updating the list and every now and again resend it to everyone who has ordered a copy.

3. If you find a book that you want then send an email to the "OWNER" via their CBF profile. The important thing to note is that it's for CBF members only so if an ebook owner gets a request which doesn't start with "Sent from Calis Beach and Fethiye Discussion Forum" it will be ignored, which means that there's no point in giving the list to your friends in the pub and telling them to email some sucker called SteveJ and he will send them a free book :D

4. The Owner will reply to your email with the book attached. You can then detach the book to a folder on your PC. You can read it from there or transfer it to your ereader of choice. If you need to convert into a different format for your particular ereader then I recommend Calibre for this purpose.

Who's going to be first?

Regards,  SteveJ

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 20:52:18 PM »
Nice one Steve

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
I love this idea - Brill idea

Offline Bluwise

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by HappyMonday

Sue if you download the Calibre software application (its free)it will manage your e-book library and convert very easily from one format to another. All you do when you install it is say what type of device you mainly use and this becomes the default.

Thanks Happy  will try that when I get home

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 23:55:05 PM »
Well I am really chuffed - followed the instructions - connected my Kindle to Calibre - selected send to device and I don't know how it knew which device and how it knew the format for Kindle BUT I now have 2 books by my favourite author (Michael Connelly) for FREE

Thanks to Steve and anyone else involved.

Now I only have about 35 paid for books on my Kindle - would you like to give me directions on how to send them to you as I feel I will have contributed but I will be guided by you.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 23:55:43 PM by Ian »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf