Author Topic: Solar panels  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Solar panels
« on: January 31, 2012, 16:07:56 PM »
Hi all
Considering having this fitted for hot water heating 'out of season'. Just wondered what costs I can expect other than the set up ones of course. Also what maintenance is involved if any?
thanks
Maria

Offline Eric

Solar panels
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 17:11:40 PM »
After initial installation the costs are zero.  Two things to remember though;

1. You need sunny days, and I mean sun not bright and cloudy, to heat the water.
2. You need to put anti-freeze in them every winter, 1Lt is enough.

Offline Jim Fraser

Solar panels
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 18:07:01 PM »
Last years price - 1200 Tl for a 3 panel single tank pressurised system, this included fitting an immersion heater this is about 200 TL more expensive than the older less efficient twin tank system.
Running costs - as the only moving part is a float assembly water valve costing less than 20 Tl then apart from leaks or breakages, definitely zero.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Solar panels
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:26 AM »
If you are using this in the Winter you will need an emmersion heater fitted into the tank. We have had to use ours quite a few times this Winter due to lack of sun and the bad weather. What are u using in the Summer months now for hot water? Could you not just have an electric shower fitted?  8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:13:45 AM by mercury »

Offline Alan Keating

Solar panels
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »
A point worth checking prior to your selection relates to mains water pressure, this varys with your location and system type.
If your pressure is low, you may need to purchase a system pump; these start at around 200Tl. This issue needs to resolved prior to any purchase, it clearly is a cost/maintence issue. For a "guide", a pump will take around 40 watts at the small end; the ideal immersion temperature should be 60C. I trust this helps. 8)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Solar panels
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
Thanks all I think I am going a little potty! We already have solar panels - I dont know what i was thinking about. Its an electric shower we were considering - so clearly the points around water pressure is worthy of consideration. Sorry was having a senior moment!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Solar panels
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 13:45:01 PM »
My neighbours bought an 8kw electric shower from a shop opposite B&Q a couple of weeks ago. It was 120tl including fitting & can be used with the solar heated water when available

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Solar panels
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 16:29:08 PM »
Bayram will fit it for you off this forum.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf