Author Topic: Turkey comes 2nd in the world  (Read 2347 times)

Offline corbindallas

Turkey comes 2nd in the world
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:34:09 AM »
Turkey is the 2nd most expensives country in the world for fuel, the UK is 7th. All the more???? when Turkey's neighbours are the fuel suppliers, seems that the Turkish Government like the taxes on fuel even more than the UK government. Article here-

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/which-country-has-the-most-expensive-petrol-in-the-world.html

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 13:01:21 PM »
Top was Norway but they include road tax. the Turks I have talked to seem upset that all or nearly all (greece only has olive oil don't tell popeye)countries around them have oil, all hell would break loose if like Ireland, Greece discoverers oil and Turkey didn't. 8)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 13:03:09 PM by c1 »

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 13:18:14 PM »
I've heard that there are potential large oil fields in Turkey but it is in the disputed Kurdish region and the Turkish government does not want to open them up as this would just ignite more terrorist activity and may affect other areas such as the tourist industry as a potential target to vent terror dispute[?]

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 13:26:31 PM »
Turkey does have oil. My oh worked in the oil fields in the east of Turkey in the 1980's. They were run by American companies.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 13:30:36 PM by littlereddevil »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 13:37:20 PM »
You also have to consider that Turkey is very much a cash economy - meaning that to raise taxes, the things you can tax at point of sale are absolutely clobbered.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf