Author Topic: Bicycle shops  (Read 3621 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Bicycle shops
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
Thanks folks.  We are in Ovacik so it's the mountain tracks which interest me.  The Migros bikes had plastic brake calipers so I decided I didn't really want to trust them on a steep decent.    I agree for Calis  / Fethiye which is nice and flat a supermarket bike is all that is needed for transport.

I'll buy one next year.  Hopefully a decent 2nd hand one will come up before then.  If not I'll go to one of the better bike shops mentioned here.

Thanks for the info

Offline hotlips

• Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
Another thought, if you aren't in a hurry, then consider buying a decent 2nd hand in the UK and bring it over. We have bought two bikes over so far. The airlines charge between £25 (easyjet) and £50. You need to get a box from a bike shop to pack it, the airlines have details on their website on how.

You can pick up a really decent 2nd hand or a well built entry level mountain bike and bring it over, for probably less than buying here.

It's also very entertaining watching the customs guy running after you at Dalaman as he thinks you're bringing in a new tv in the box. The disappointment on his face when he realises its only a bike as he thought he was going to get his hands on a new tele!

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 15:18:16 PM »
That's a great idea Hotlips.  That hadn't even crossed my mind.

To be honest a decent new bike at Lykia2 was about £250 upwards.  Fairly light and fairly good equipment. 

I doubt I would get anything better new in the UK for that money.  Good 2nd hand stuff might be thereabouts or more expensive.  I also don't mind giving a good Turkish local shop business especially if I might want them to do repairs in future so buying here makes sense too.

I'll worry about it over winter  :D

Offline steve the bike

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 22:33:20 PM »
Hi all, I own a cycle shop in England and have brought all of my bikes
out on the plane with me, that includes a tandem.
the quality of cycles for sale in calis that i have seen do not reach the standard
that i would like to use.
All i can say is if you know what a good cycle is bring it out with you,
if you just want a bike buy it in turkey

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 00:09:13 AM »
Thanks for the info Steve.  Following Hotlips post and now yours I am defo bringing one of my existing bikes out in April (flight & bike already booked). TBH I don't really know if I would know what was good bike and what was a bad bike by riding them.  I have a probabaly late 80s Specialized Rockhopper with Exage Mountain components (cculd be interesting getting spares in Turkey  !) or a late 90s Scott mountain bike.    Either of those will come with me.

I am doing more cycling for fitness these days and have dug out my mid 80's Dawes Equinox 531C "Triathalon" bike with Shimano 600 equipment to do turbo training over winter. I haven't been brave enough to take it out on my hilly training circuit in the UK as I doubt I am fit enough for the much bigger gearing !

I was thinking about buying a new bike in the UK for the UK  (a road bike) but I haven't a clue what to start looking for or if it would be a complete waste of money as what I have at the mo seems to do what little I ask of them  .

Any advice on a bike for UK use would be much appreciated !

Offline charlste

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 19:48:20 PM »
This is a question for "steve the bike".I have a bike in calis and was thinking about taking over some new pedals and handlebar grips.Are the fittings the same and are the handlebar grips separate from the twist grip gear change or is it all in one.
Thankyou

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf