Author Topic: house martins nesting  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: house martins nesting
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 13:17:53 PM »
The problem is when the chicks are born the adults throw all the bird poo out of the nests to the floor below which causes insect to be attracted to it and in Turkey cockroaches.  I remember my parents getting these birds nesting right under there front door, what a mess they made and people had to run in and out for fear of being dive bombed. Next year, as soon as they started to build again, my Father went out with the hose. 
The stuff we have outside is a transparent gel which is called Bird Proof.  However, there are lots of these products under different brand names on the net.

Offline karenr

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 20:35:08 PM »
well for all you people that think its lovely to watch the sweet little birds nesting..............been back in June/july.......there are 11 nest in a 3 meter by 3 meter space !!!!! x 4 as there are 4 corners to out complex...........our friends that stopped in the apartment below the nests were cleaning 8 times a day on their terrace......you cannot eat on the terrace........I could smell the bird faeces and  bi rdsacks in the hot air as I sat on the terrace...........its too unhygenic to eat out there.....the birds poo in the pool and you get sh@t on at least 4 times a day  round the pool area........each person...........its beyond watching and thinking...wow, how lovely....one or 2 nests yes........but 44 nests....Im guessing equals 2 parents and at least 4 chicks each so......total..... 88 parents......plus 176 chicks .......and the chicks return to the same area each year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! honestly guys its a bloody nightmate.....the complex pillars and balconies are covered in excrement from the birds.......really visible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea how bad it is....and it can only get worse till we find a solution  :(

Offline scorcher

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 21:14:01 PM »
.................. ?

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 15:31:32 PM »
we have had some larger birds this year
they are black with a white breast and make an hell of a noise

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 21:50:02 PM »
Kenkay has asked me to post this photo he took, on his behalf

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 00:05:23 AM »
Thanks Keith. Fortunately I managed to snap that in the porch of the Broughton Craggs Hotel in Great Broughton near Cockermouth where I was lucky enough to spend about 60% of the last 6 years of my working life  ;D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 00:19:12 AM »
60% of 6 years of your working life in a hotel? How nice :D

Offline karenr

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 16:15:12 PM »
Thanks Keith. Fortunately I managed to snap that in the porch of the Broughton Craggs Hotel in Great Broughton near Cockermouth where I was lucky enough to spend about 60% of the last 6 years of my working life  ;D
[/quote

they are  lovely..........when just a few......I am an animal lover but would be the same if there were 50 plus cats on the complex............a few is ok but whe  you become over run with anything its an absolute nightmare.................on a diffeent note we had a coach parking outside the complex a few years ago...............then it went to 12 coaches..............not dfunny when your trying to sleep and the generators and engines are running in the early hours.........were going to encourage them awy from the balconies and hopefully they will go round the side of the apartment blocks!!!!!!! we can only try. One owner has arranged to have windchimes put up at the end of this year.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf