Author Topic: Taking food in your cases ?  (Read 13959 times)

Offline George Warner

Re: Taking food in your cases ?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04:05 AM »
Food in suitcases,whatever next  ;)  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
I am one of the few people I have heard of who have been stopped and had their cases searched at Dalaman. I was the only one flying transit via Istanbul (so as things turned out absolutely everyone else on my flight was on a domestic IST - DLM flight). At Dalaman they would split transit and domestic passengers and yes I was the only travelling person in international arrivals that night.

I was returning from an exhibition with a case brimming with treasures - ham, cheese, bacon, sausages etc. Obviously the customs guy was bored rigid so decided to come and see what my story was.

Even worse, my tasty treats were packed around a DVD/VHS combo (another story) I had bought in the UK. He searched the case, moving clothes to reveal huge catering packs of bacon. He moved bacon to reveal a DVD player, all shiny new. He looked up at me with a very stern expression indeed. "You...teacher in Turkey?", I said no, I'm not a teacher. "Yes, you teacher".

Then he gestured me to put everything back in the suitcase and walked off.   

Offline Lotty

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
Aw. . . they sometimes have a heart!

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
Looks like most people take food without a problem, so that's bacon,sausages,cheese,corned beef,spam,cooked ham and beef to go, and "Midnight Express" on the iPad to watch on the flight over.
"SORTED"

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
I hope your bacon-filled cases are not lost in transit. If they have been tucked away in some neglected corner of Dalaman Airport tarmac for a week in August customs wouldn't need to see it to find it.

Offline quackers

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 13:08:52 PM »
Can I ask why do you brıng all thıs food in. Can you not manage a holiday without it or is it a game to see ıf you can it passed customs. My neıghbours brıng everythıng out wıth them ıncludıng pot noodles and boxes of wine.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 13:21:05 PM »
I hope your bacon-filled cases are not lost in transit. If they have been tucked away in some neglected corner of Dalaman Airport tarmac for a week in August customs wouldn't need to see it to find it.

We only brought the vacuum packed bacon, for that very reason  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 13:23:40 PM »
Can I ask why do you brıng all thıs food in. Can you not manage a holiday without it or is it a game to see ıf you can it passed customs. My neıghbours brıng everythıng out wıth them ıncludıng pot noodles and boxes of wine.

3lt very nice wine = £14 in duty free. 750ml Turkish "dog killer" = 20 TL. No idea on why people would bring Pot Noodles on holiday though. Or eat them at all :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 13:28:37 PM »
The Pork Shops sell all the British Food Stuffs, including tins of corned beef.   Also the Danish Bacon can be bought fresh not frozen and is very good. 
I am really at a loss to understand why people come on holiday for a couple of weeks and need to bring food with them.  I can understand the expats missing some of the cheese etc., they get at home.
We always make a bee line for the market and get yoghurts, cheese, eggs, fruit vegetables, chicken etc.,
I would not dream of taking up room in my suitcase or my husbands (which I also use) to bring over food.
I also think that under the current government in Turkey,  if a Brit was caught with food in their suitcase they could be made an example of as someone committing a crime.

Offline mary62

• Growing old disgracefully.
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 13:31:27 PM »

3lt very nice wine = £14 in duty free. 750ml Turkish "dog killer" = 20 TL. No idea on why people would bring Pot Noodles on holiday though. Or eat them at all :D
I have had the odd pot noodle....However I always feel like I need a bath after eating them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf