Author Topic: Human Rights!  (Read 5737 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Re: Human Rights!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 20:07:41 PM »
the human rights brigade. Who are they anyway
They are a mythical creation of people who don't want to bother too much with civic realities and moral uncertainties and instead need someone to blame for whatever it is they dislike. Many of these people may be described as "right wing" but they are not limited to this label. The people branded as members of this mythical "brigade" may be identified as awkward buggers who point out things like "The UK already has the largest proportion of its population in prison of any European country and putting even more in there just seems to be doing more of the same rather than a solution" or "The USA has the highest proportion of its population in prison of any advanced industrial society and doesn't seem to be notably free of violence and crime". Damned nuisances these awkward buggers - take their human rights away!
Colwyn, I may not always agree with what you  say, (you do have a point here though), but I would defend to the death your right to say it! We have such a high percentage in jail, as does the USA, because we are a disobedient and sick society, yes we need a stronger hand with young offenders in my view, not necessarily custodial, before they become hardened to crime. Perhaps if we stopped telling little Jimmy he had passed --- when he hadn't he had failed! -- and stopped telling youth that a 46in flat screen TV, Ipad, Iphone and new car were theirs by right -- we might not be too late to change things  :)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 20:10:48 PM »
OMG just read the Salford Advertiser, young man going back to jail for 2 years after burglary offences having just been released from prison, he did it because " I am used t getting 3 meals a day and not working much in Prison -- and I found it hard outside"!

Well, if I had a case, (probably been stolen while I was typing on here  :), I would rest it!

hmmmm, "London -- we have a problem!"

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 23:53:03 PM »
Interesting topic posted from someone living in a country who's record on human rights has (allegedly) held back it's entry into the EEC.

I'm not saying I disagree with any of the sentiments shown on this topic but Human Rights is an absoulte minefield IMO.

Sorry for the spelling - it's late  :)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
To me prison should be a 8' x 8' cell, walls painted battleship grey and a bunk bed with a sink in the corner, just like on porridge. All this bull **** about prisoners having human rights is WRONG. Where were my human rights when someone broke into my house and stole my stuff.

Prisoners should have access to a tv fixed on a news channel so they know whats going on in the world, end of. IMHO.

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
Could not agree more Bewva,which reminded me of a guy I met years ago who played golf at a good level and learnt the sport while doing time.Fletch was deprived   :)

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
Interesting views like the 8x8 cell! Well why do we put people in a Prison? To prevent them from offending and to safeguard the population against them. We hope of course to be able to rehabilitate them, but that we don't seriously do, simply because it costs a lot of money. Particularly the "first time imprisoned", (I wont say first time offender probably more first time caught!  :) )

If you are going to do it right, and it has been done, you have to have a plan and a regime, bit like my own experience in the 60's, the regime was fairly brutal to begin with, never be allowed today, (Human rights!) the physical violence, the degradation, (every night at 9pm for the first 3 months you had to lay on your bed naked, and when the duty officer came to your room, you had to raise your legs in the air, then turn over so every inch of you could be checked for any rash etc. It was known as "Flesh inspection. Sounds cruel but when you have hundreds of young men all living in close proximity something like scabies could spread like a bushfire!) Then gradually regimes were relaxed, and harsh discipline was unnecessary as people had developed "self discipline" -- first rung on the ladder to criminal rehabilitation too? Then the teaching and training to the point you were ready to leave fully trained, capable, and self reliant -- isn't that what we can aim for in rehabilitation?

Perhaps when you break the law some of your Human rights are broken too? Start with the "8x8" perhaps, back into prison uniforms, no TV, no Radio, continual drug searches and kept well away from other prisoners. After a statutory period some relaxing of the regime, a chance to perhaps associate with others for limited periods. During all this phase compulsory physical exercise (costs money!) Followed by interviews and assessment, (Money), then more association, games and sports opportunities (Money!), beginning of proper training and education (Money), eventually to relaxed conditions in open prison, (Money). Finally interviews and job opportunities and if necessary Government funded (Money) employment for minimum 1 year. (Money). At any time -- the surety that break the rules and your sentence is doubled and back to the beginning  -- break then make.

Perhaps Prison could be used to develop people, and their "Human Rights" managed rather than just granted?

But all this would cost a lot of money, and need a Government with the will and support of the people! Then they can have all their Human Rights back when they leave!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf