Author Topic: more questions..  (Read 3883 times)

Offline BernieTeyze

more questions..
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
Have never used this section before,which is a shame as it has loads of great tips and advice.
Have a couple of questions in preperation of our permanent move next year if I may.
Looking on google on food storage I now realise I have been storing wrongly. Apparently you dont store tomatoes or cucumbers in the fridge, however it didnt say whether to store them in dark or light places.
Please can anyone let me know what foods to store where in Turkish climates.
Also is there anywhere to find out which fruit,veg,fish is in season throughout the year.
Any tips on where to shop, we will be in ovacik.
Many thanks
Bernie
 :-\ :D

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Re: more questions..
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
Here I store all fruit & veg in the fridge, especially in the summer months or it would likely be half cooked. Also I have all canned meat & fish, tubes of paste etc in the fridge.

Only things in the cupboard are dry goods & once they're opened they are in airtight plastic storage.

As for seasonal stuff, you really only need to look in the various markets (not supermarkets) such as Tuesday market or for the best guide the Friday "farmers'" market in Fethiye, as if they don't have it it ain't in season!

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »
Thanks liz, it was pretty much what I had in mind, it threw me reading cucumber and tomatoes shouldnt be in the fridge.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:10:34 PM »
I always keep all veggies etc. in the fridge.  Local fruit and veg does not last as long as the stuff in the U.K anyway and would be "off" in a very short time if keep out of the fridge in Turkey.
Be careful of spices etc.,  I brought some back to the U.K. and after opening, left them in the cupboard, next thing we knew there where lots of flying beasties all around the kitchen.  There had been eggs in the spices that hatched out.   I spoke to a friend who lives in Fethiye who told me this is quite a common thing and she puts spices in the  freezer after buying and leaves them for a few hours to kill off eggs... Put me off though, as I don't want to eat insect eggs either.
I do put all dry goods into airtight boxes when in Turkey as ants seem to find their way everywhere.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
We store cauli, broccoli in airtight containers in the fridge cut them into flortes but do not wash they keep 10 days. We store carrots in an airtight container wash or peel then store in water, change the water every few days, we store the large raddish the same. Lettuce, rocket etc we wash spin then again store in airtight boxes. cucumbers keep better in airtight boxes as do mushrooms tomatoes just in the bottom of fridge.

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
Thats great thanks mark, am also printing out your Turkish meat list.  Jacquie i,m with you..not loving the idea of eggs either.yuk!  Scunner told me to stock up with nippon, so am hoping to avoid them.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 15:39:03 PM »
You are very good at asking the right questions, Bernie.

I think I'm going to be bringing spices over. TA has to have the right spices for his cooking  ??? Will buy a coffee grinder to make the masala over in Fethiye.

May I ask, what is this 'meat list'?

Also, is salmon readily available in Fethiye - frozen or fresh? I live on the stuff ......

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 15:48:19 PM »
I agree Menthol I have to bring my own spices from UK and I keep everything in airtight containers. I keep and scour every jar and use them to store things rather than plastic as they really airtight with the screw tops. I also once had house guests Jacqui (kitchen moths) in UK. Now I'm paranoid - but my cupboards are a delight everything in clean tidy jars.   ;)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 15:52:07 PM »
'delightful cupboards' , how lovely, Lotty  :D

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 15:56:00 PM »
Ha-ha! It's true Menthol but it's the only thing I am a saddo about!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf