Author Topic: Bus Lanes!!  (Read 1707 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Bus Lanes!!
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:23 AM »
The mayor of Liverpool has cancelled out the use of bus lanes in the city, good for him, common sense has prevailed :D
the traffic snarled up in the city centre with mostly empty bus lanes same as every city in the UK

why should people who don't pay any road tax have a free lane to get to work quicker than a car driver???

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Bus Lanes!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:03:52 AM »
What hacks me off is the buses don't stay in the bus lanes.  Aberdeen is a nightmare to drive in as nothing has even been done to the roads in and around the town centre since the Oil boom so the traffic is terrible.  On my recent trips into Aberdeen I note the buses weaving from the bus lane into the one traffic lane and snarling up all the cars in  that lane.   We also have those double concertina buses which IMO should never be allowed into the town centre. 
On a recent trip to take my husband into Aberdeen it took us 30 minutes to get to town and then 35 minutes to get through the the traffic to our destination.  So good on Liverpool you have done well.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
And on the same day Liverpool has announced this common sense initiative
Birminghams Labour council has announced long term plans to reduce the
speed limit on 35% of the city's roads to 20 mph. Most councils are run by
pen pushers.Birmingham is run by pedal pushers.    >:( >:(

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:05:15 AM »
In Bristol we have a "bus lane" on the inner city section of the M32. This, of course, is not restricted to buses but also open to taxis and emergency vehicles. I strongly support the scheme. What I don't support is the 2+ rush hour lane on the outer ring road which seems to serve no useful purpose and confuses even Bristolians {"has rush hour finished/started yet?"} let alone outsiders visiting our city. The excuse for 2+ is that it encourages car sharing but no evidence for this is ever offered and if £1.39 per litre doesn't persuade people to share cars I can't see that 2+ is going to pull off the trick.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
And --- in Manchester/Salford we have the mosty amazing forward looking changes -- if you are a snail!

There are two main routes into the City from the West -- the M602 -- very congested in the morning -- and the A580/A6 -- possibly even more congested but at least there were 3 lanes for a lot of it and 2 lanes when it became the A6 into the City Centre.

So, of course firstly Salford Council decided to take the 3 lanes part at Salford Crescent Railway Station and reduce that to one, (clever huh??) so now the A6/A580 is even more congested. But that5 is not good enough! Traffic still moves albeit slowly. So to ensure complete chaos a guided Busway is being installed along the A580 from miles outside the City, thus reducing the 2 and 3 lanes to 1 and 2 on a road that is already a snail trail.

What good are Bus lanes really unless the roads are wide enough and the whole traffic light system is overhauled to fit?

a) They encourage people to take Public Transport which saves fuel, is less polluting and saves the Country money overall

b) Rubbish! They don't encourage you if the Bus is infrequent, doesn't go anywhere near where you work, requires two changes and takes twice as long as the car even with the traffic! It isn't less polluting as the subsequent car congestion creates more pollution, it doesn't save money with all the cars using the most inefficient engine performance -- crawling in traffic jams!

C) It works wonderfully in London so it will work everywhere

d) more rubbish. London has a wonderful transport system we don't have elsewhere (they complain but let them live in a Manchester Suburb and work in the City!). They have a totally interconnected system of Trains, Underground Trains, Buses etc. I work a lot in London and it is absolutely fantastic, you can get anywhere easily and are never far from a transport point! Having Bus Lanes and Congestion Charges works there -- it wont work anywhere else unb less you have the same transport architecture.

I know, easy, why didn't I think about it before? We can build a wonderfully fast rail link to  everywhere from London, could start with the North West of England? Lest call it HS2?? Then everyone can work in London and travel by train from the North?? Ahhh, cant get to a station  --- roads clogged up with Bus Lanes. Stupid man, get the Underground --- ahhh well yes -- we don't have one -- then get a Tram ----- ahh not many of those, as, unlike London where the whole UK pays for it, they expect us to pay here, but we cant afford it as we have no job, or we are spending all our money on transport to it!  :)

Never mind Scottish Independence the UK needs Independence from London!

Bitter Dour Northener??? No, I grew up in Sussex and most of my family are still there -- and -- of course -- most work in London!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf