Author Topic: Passport Validity Question  (Read 2830 times)

Offline lilsoph

• Newly Registered
Passport Validity Question
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:55 PM »
I understand the rule is that one must have 6 months clear to the end of the passport expiry date.  Is this a hard a fast requirement does anyone know? My son has 5 months and wants to come over for one week later this month, what are the implications of turning up at Dalaman in this situation?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Passport Validity Question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 13:26:54 PM »
What a question  :)

Technically you should have 6 months validity on arrival (and 3 months on exit too actually). I have known people sail through with far less. That said, Dalaman is a dark and unpredictable place - it's definitely a gamble and depends on how your luck is and perhaps which kiosk you choose to show your passport at.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 13:46:08 PM »
This is what the UK Government website has to say on the matter.

"Passport validity
Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Turkey and have at least 3 months validity from the date you are leaving Turkey."
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/entry-requirements

However, as Scunner says, what happens in Turkey may well not correspond to what has been written in London. I wonder if anyone knows of anybody being turned away because of this rule.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 14:26:11 PM »
I was the same a few years ago with 5 months on my passport. I rang the Turkish Embassy and was told I must get a new passport. 
I really could not have sat for 4 1/2 hours on the plane worrying that I might be sent back, so I got a new passport. >:(
I have not heard of anyone being deported, but as said, Dalaman is unpredictable, my advise, don't take the chance.  :)

Offline lilsoph

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 16:17:17 PM »
I concur that Dalaman is unpredictable.  We won't go ahead.  I appreciate those of you who took the time to reply.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 17:39:03 PM »
He could get his passport renewed in one day. Just needs to ring for an appointment.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 20:30:43 PM »
The fact is that the airline is responsible for checking passport validity and, if there is a possibility of your son being refused entry to Turkey, he could well be stopped from departing the UK.

You'll hear many stories of people who know someone who's friend, cousin, sister etc etc managed to get into Turkey with just a few days remaining on their passport. They were very fortunate.

The question is "Will luck be on you or your son's side"

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »
Does anyone actually know why the 6 month rule applies, not only when travelling to Turkey, this has always puzzled me because in effect it makes a 10 year passport only valid for 9 1/2 years.  :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »
Yes I've wondered that too. But then after your first passport you can apply early - then after the next ten years it effectively makes a 10.5 year passport 10 years?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 13:42:46 PM »
It's something to do with most countries having a 3 month visa period in the past. If you get to the end of the visa period and are then taken ill or are unable to leave you can generally get a 3 month extension. Hence the 6 month requirement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf