Author Topic: Will it be forgotten?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Will it be forgotten?
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
Well today is November 11th and there will be services everywhere commemorating the day, but will it last long into the next Century? Not November -- Remembrance day  :)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Re: Will it be forgotten?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »
I would say as long as there is conflict and members of our armed forces lose their lives, Remembrance Sunday will be held to honour them.

And let's face it, there will always be war somewhere.  :(

Offline apollo

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
I think that Remembrance Day will continue  for many more years to come. However,  as The First World War becomes a distant memory , like Waterloo. The reason and significance of the date 11th November will have to be reconsidered.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
Easter, Christmas Day, St Andrew's Day, St George's Day, St Patrick's Day, St David's Day etc, etc all seem to be going strong so why should Remembrance day be any different.

Incidently, I saw a fellow in Oludeniz once wearing a tee shirt that said "to drink or not to drink" on the front and "what a bloody stupid question" on the back.   :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »

The reason and significance of the date 11th November will have to be reconsidered.

Surely the keeping of the date will in itself safeguard the reason and significance.

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
Love that one Highlander!!!

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 13:43:14 PM »
Well I think in the current climate people sometimes forget what it is about, and, whilst as an ex-Soldier who served for a long time, I feel we should remember, but will the future generations lose the meaning in their own desire for remembering their own time? Whilst the Soldiers in my generation who fought, and of the current who are fighting, we had a choice, we volunteered, we were paid to fight! (I would often joke to young Soldiers who complained -- well, you took the Queen's shilling!)

Do we need a lot more emphasis on the two World Wars and possibly Korea? Where there was a serious threat to our Country directly or indirectly, but more importantly that the majority of men who died didn't volunteer, they were forced to go and many died or, like my Father, survived, but were never the same.  It is the thoughtful consideration of the fact that these poor men who didn't want to fight nonetheless did so as they felt it their duty, and many paid with their lives.

Should we be thinking more of that fact and remembering them with respect but also as a point of an "anti-war" celebration which it also is? Will it more likely be remembered and "celebrated" that way?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf