Author Topic: SGK Meeting with the British Consulate  (Read 14675 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
SGK Meeting with the British Consulate
« on: December 24, 2013, 16:04:53 PM »
Here is the feedback from the recent clarification meeting held between the SGK & the Consulate. It's more than a bit worrying for some :

http://issuu.com/ukinturkey/docs/report_on_our_meeting_with_sgk_offi#

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: SGK Meeting with the British Consulate
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 17:18:27 PM »
Looks like another trip to the SGK office for me - in order to clarify if Gill is covered  :(

In our blue books it says "emekli" for me - which is correct but "finans assistan"  (finance assistant) for Gill as that is what she has done all her life so she thought that would be the most appropriate response and if our circumstances were to change that is what she would likely do again - but currently she is "retired" at 52 - and doesn't work through choice so is she covered or not ???

Have to say - fully expected this after my original posts on this subject  a few weeks ago :-X

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 17:24:44 PM »
I read it as I am covered for another 2 and abit years,as is Kaz. After that Kaz has to take outSSK in her own right and I will ha e to take a private insurance for myself :-(:-(:-(

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 17:43:34 PM »
I think you can be classed as retired (Emekli) on your residency but you need to confirm that you are not in receipt of a UK State Pension, in which case your are eligible to be in the SGK.

I'm retired but receive an occupational pension and so as far as I can see I'm still eligible?

Either way, it's a worry if you are over 65 as it appears you can't be in the scheme?

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 17:43:57 PM »
That's how I read it - but if you put down "retired" on your application as I did - we will still have to go to the SGK office to make our signed declarations that we are not receiving a state pension.

If they want reciprocal agreements - do we in the UK turn foreign residents away from our health service when they are at pension age? (and may need it most)

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 18:07:44 PM »
I would certainly use that as a bargaining point, from what I understand, there are about 500,000 Turks in the UK yet only around 35,000 Brits resident in Turkey. It's obvious who has most to loose

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 18:29:39 PM »
I do wonder if this might have some more twists and turns but in the meantime it would be useful if someone could get a version of the statement approved and then others can use it?

We are not back for a few weeks - but if all they want is a signed statement to put on file it might help some.

However the bigger issue of retirees and their provision is one that needs taking up the line sooner rather than later as some form of lobbying needs to take place and quite honestly you would have thought that someone representing us at the meeting would have thought of the repercussions there and then and raised some obvious questions ???

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 20:06:32 PM »
Well that leaves those of us who ARE receiving state pension, live here full time and have paid into SGK from Jan 2012 in a pretty poor position. Are we to keep on paying in the hope that they will sort it out or what?  Its only a couple of months ago that we signed a form to stay IN the scheme, nothing was said then about all this. Just what the **** are the British Consulate doing to represent us - bugger all by the look of things.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 21:45:26 PM »
I would still hold your breathe as the person who originally reported this - as happening to him and his wife stated that they had to have 2 separate policies with SGK as opposed to the one they had been paying for a few years - thus doubling his cost.

That kind of makes sense to me - no subsidy - but kicking people out - without giving them another option - does not make sense - so maybe this has a few more twists ........

(but I do think the British Consul need to think this through and then make representation stating that many retired people will not be able to "jump" into an affordable scheme or any at all - with existing conditions - so what happens then???)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
Perverse I know, but this is the only benefit I can see from the increase/s in the age of entitlement to UK state pension. :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf