Author Topic: "New Rules" regarding residency to renew house insurance???  (Read 3104 times)

Offline paz

"New Rules" regarding residency to renew house insurance???
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:23:16 AM »
When we were over in October, we were advised that new rules starting in April 20l4 would mean it would be mandatory for home-owners to get a residency even if just visiting for 2 weeks at a time.  It would entail going to the passport police in Fethiye, paying an initial fee to get a "blue book" and then renewing each year, just to be able to insure your property. Our agent managed to find one company that would ensure us in the meantime, but come April we would have to go through  this new process.  We went to the passport police and they confirmed this.  Is anyone else aware of this?   

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: "New Rules" regarding residency to renew house insurance???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:43:57 AM »
Yesterday someone was on here saying that your residency will be cancelled unless you spend at least six months each year in Turkey !!

As far as I know, you can still get your property insured as before, just ask your insurance company.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
I renewed mine last week - no questions were asked regarding residency.   :)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
OK it was late last year, but we had no problem renewing our House Insurance.  So I would look for a different Insurance Company/Broker.... you could even save some money at the same time!

Offline paz

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 22:19:24 PM »
We have been with the same broker nine years (based in Fethiye). He has always taken care of renewing and giving us the best price. This last time because of the "the new government policy"  he couldn't renew our existing policy but was able to find one company that would, but advised we would have to visit the passport police in April. The passport police confirmed this and said they had 5000 applications pending of people in exactly the same position so there must be something in it. Those of you who have replied, are you in fact already residents?

Offline mary anne

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 18:24:26 PM »
We have been told the same , not only can we not be insured but the company we insured with last year apparently gave us false ID numbers therefore I assume we were void all last year. I am going out in April to see if my friend and neighbour who found out this anomaly, with him being an insurance agent, to try and resolve the situation.
If not the only thing to do is to get a UK based company which are a wee bit more expensive.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
I would be very interested in hearing whether this is going to happen in April as our insurance runs out in May, goodness 5000 applications of  people pending and probably still more by now if the passport police confirmed it there must be some truth in it...

Offline micky mouse

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »
Recently re-newed mine with intersure in the uk no problems what so ever,have not heard anything regarding residencies having to be purchased to insure your property from april just another rumour maybe.

Offline fishman

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 19:41:59 PM »
Also renewed mine on the 12th February with insurance company in Fethiye and wasn't informed of any problems !! 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf