Author Topic: Where does charity begin????  (Read 5105 times)

Offline kismetbar

Where does charity begin????
« on: February 11, 2014, 22:22:09 PM »
Watching what is going on in "Great" Britain, isn't it time we did something for the people in the UK who are genuinely suffering? Let's face it, the UK Government are so committed to giving aid to impoverished nations such as India, despite the fact that they have, and continue to develop, nucleaur weapons and are also planning to send a man to the moon. Despite the fact that the UK Government are happy to spend billions of pounds, and lives, to play the big boys on the big stage?? The fact that they play politics with peoples lives purely for votes! A country that sends our sports men and women to a homophobic nation to represent them and then sit back when the guy who cocked up the opening ceremony (with the olympic rings) is found dead the next day battered and bruised (suicide evidentally)?? Wake up! YOUR OWN people need you!!! I ask anybody and everybody on this forum to take stock .... and hold back from one beer, and use that money to help those REAL victims who could, potentially, lose everything! The people of Calis and Fethiye are always so generous to give to local causes here and so well done for doing just that without question! Is it too much too ask?? My home town has been heavily affected and I will, in whatever way I can, make my contribution just to shame the government00000000000. Let's speak as one voice and tell the UK government just why we left he UK?? Rant over!! x

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Re: Where does charity begin????
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 23:27:44 PM »
"Great" Britain,

Yes it most certainly is

A country that sends our sports men and women to a homophobic nation to represent them

As opposed to a country who allows their police force to spray innocent, peaceful female protesters in the face with CS Gas

I ask anybody and everybody on this forum to take stock .... and hold back from one beer, and use that money to help those REAL victims who could, potentially, lose everything!  x

Does that include people who, whatever their present terrible predicament and through their own free will, chose to live on a flood plane and not insure themselves against an obvious risk. And I DO have massive sympathy for those who are affected "inland"  by the way.

Rant over

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 23:44:30 PM by Highlander »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:30:38 AM »
I don't understand anyone not having house insurance, however, some people whose homes have flooded in the past cannot get insurance and are in a catch 22 situation as no one would buy their homes either because of the flood risk.  These people did not build on flood plains but in recent years floods have affected them badly.

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »
Without making judgement, a family we know a few miles from us on the edge of the levels had their house flooded last year, it was the first time in 100+ years the area had flooded and they were looked after by their insurance company. On renewal they renewed their house insurance but could not afford the flood cover as it was £8000 for the year, they had little choice and were aware that it was a one off last year. You can guess what has happened again this year. Their plan to move is now in tatters.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »
Here is a letter from 38degrees for those that want to donate this might be one way to ensure urgent help gets to those who need it

A lot of the UK is underwater right now. And more rain is forecast. Homes and farms are ruined, and thousands of people are having a really tough time. [1]

On the ground, local charities are springing into action. They are pulling together emergency accommodation, pumping equipment, blankets and food. They are providing comfort and hope in the crisis.

The 38 Degrees office team have been in touch with local charities from areas hit by floods - charities like the Somerset Community Foundation, who are supporting communities under water on the Somerset Levels. [2]

They've explained that 38 Degrees members could help with relief efforts across the UK by raising money quickly for the charities who need it on the ground. A big pot of cash would mean the local charities could focus on giving help to victims and provide a boost to flooded communities.

Could you help by chipping in to a flood relief fund? The sooner we can raise money, the sooner it can start helping families and communities hit by the floods.
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/UK-flood-relief-donate

38 Degrees staff will work with local charities around the UK to make sure your donation goes straight to those facing immediate hardship. Money will really help families and communities get back on their feet as soon as possible.

Here’s what Mary Hancock, deputy chief executive of the Somerset Community Foundation, said:

“As a community foundation our role is to work with grassroots groups to make sure the relief money is going where it is so desperately needed. Donations from 38 Degrees members would be so valuable right now. We will work alongside 38 Degrees staff and our network of community foundations to rebuild flood affected communities.”

Here are some of the things that money from 38 Degrees members could do:

- Provide emergency relief grants to people whose homes have been flooded to meet the immediate financial burdens of moving out, pumping and drying, and emergency repairs.

- Help those who face additional financial burdens as a result of the flooding, for example through loss of earnings.

- Support local small businesses, charities and community organisations to ensure their survival and swift recovery.

- Support counselling and community services to help people cope with the emotional stress caused by the flooding in the short and medium term.

Can you chip in right now? Make a secure donation by clicking this link:

There are lots of big questions to be answered about how we can prevent flooding in the future. How can we do more to tackle climate change? [3] How can we improve flood defences? And whose responsibility is it to make sure this doesn’t happen again? But right now homes are underwater and families need our help.

Lots of 38 Degrees members have contacted the office over the last few days to say they want to do something to help flood victims. Sometimes helping means pressure on politicians to do the right thing. Sometimes, it means offering direct help. In this case, it probably means both - but let's get started by getting cash where it's needed this week.

Make a secure donation here:

Thanks for getting involved,

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
If you live on a flood plain you are not able to get insurance for your house to cover flooding.... Especially if it has been flooded before.. The insurance companies have clamped down... Have some sympathy!!!  We have moved on to a park with a small man made lake and live a mile from the coast..  We tried through a broker and all the insurance companies we knew to get insurance.. They gave us house insurance but refused flood insurance despite this area never having been flooded before... Our neighbours who have lived here since these homes were built are now finding that when their insurance comes up for renewal are also being refused this option... Having said this the sea front has been flooded twice this Winter.. The first time for over 75 years... It hasn't as yet affected us in land... I have the greatest sympathy for anyone going through the heartbreak of these floods.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
I don't understand anyone not having house insurance, however, some people whose homes have flooded in the past cannot get insurance

Haven't you just explained to yourself why some people don't have insurance ?

Offline Christie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 13:39:22 PM »
The Daily Mail are running a campaign to PUT BRITAIN'S FLOOD VICTIMS FIRST.  People wanting to support this can support the campaign online        dailymail.co.uk/flood petition. 

Offline SuzzPuss

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 13:54:32 PM »
I think people that live on the river probably have taken that calculated risk but my sister's house in Datchet is flooded and it's never flooded before since it was built in the 60s.  The floods in Staines, Wraysbury and Datchet are at least partially caused by a flood relief system built to protect Windsor and Maidenhead (Eton College's idea but paid for by the tax payer...).  It was done badly and has compromised the flood defenses those places had in place.  Still, David Cameron's old school is nice and dry.   :'(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 16:06:43 PM »
Isn't it the case that not only do houses built on flood plains flood, but houses previously unaffected by floods are more likely to flood as more development occurs around them? In which case...

...it doesn't follow that all people who bought/live in flooded areas knew the risk.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf