Author Topic: Is it possible?  (Read 4458 times)

Offline madmart

Is it possible?
« on: February 17, 2014, 19:59:35 PM »
to have one of these registered for use in Turkey. It has already been unlocked in  the UK.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/2566

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Re: Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 21:23:07 PM »
I am not sure if this will help you.  I have the Turkish version of the threestore MiFi as in your link.  On my return to the UK I did not need to have it unlocked to insert the threestore data sim=card. 

Will you have to pay the 150tl or so to register the MiFi in Turkey? also, will a Turkcell Data Sim work after registration?  or will it only work Turkish MiFi to UK?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 21:38:05 PM by loz »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 13:57:25 PM »
I suspect, but do not know for certain, that this device will be the same as any other UK unlocked mobile device (tablet, smartphone etc.) in that it will probably work OK when you insert a Turkish sim into it the first time, and perhaps it will work for a week or two.  The next time you use it, it will not work and you will need to pay the 150TL tax fee (at tax office) then take the paper that the tax office give you and register the device with one of the Turkish Carriers (Turkcell/Avea/Vodafone) at a cost of thirty or so Lira.  May take a day or two to become live on your 'new' turkish SIM.

Another thing to look out for is the mobile signal where you want to use the device, how good is it? If it is poor signal then give up before you start.  Having said that you will possibly get a better signal from one or other of the Turkish mobile carriers.  So if the signal is poor with Vodafone, it does not necessarily mean that the signal is bad with Turkcell or Avea.

Hope that helps.  ;)

Offline Somerset Simon

Is it possible?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 15:12:06 PM »
From experience, I can assure you that the device will be blocked after a few weeks, the best advice is to buy a Turkish MiFi and then you can use in turkey with a Turkish sim and in UK with a UK sim as it is not locked to a network

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 15:46:17 PM »
From experience, I can assure you that the device will be blocked after a few weeks, the best advice is to buy a Turkish MiFi and then you can use in turkey with a Turkish sim and in UK with a UK sim as it is not locked to a network
Your right Simon, but that assumes that the person is starting from scratch with no purchase having been made.  In this case I think they have already purchased the 3 MiFi and had it unlocked... they could abandon this 3 MiFi, and buy new (and expensive in Turkey), but I suspect that they want to use the 3 device.  So they will need to do their sums to see what works out best for them.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 17:47:12 PM »
I have posted quite abit about this MiFI and now use it (without unlocking) in the UK on 3store.  it saved me the hassle of buying in the UK and then registering in Turkey. 

Take a read through this link.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/telephones_broadband_and_mobiles/mobile_internet_access_50660.0.html

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 17:54:18 PM »
Replying to UBT, yes you are correct it does appear madrmart has already purchased his MiFI, I was just making the point I also have an unlocked 3 dongle (disabled in turkey) but decided to save the hassle of getting it unlocked (tax office etc) I decided to purchase a turkcell dongle as it is a better model with digital display for about £80.

Offline madmart

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 20:40:27 PM »
Sorry all

Forgot I had posted this!!

I already have a Turkcell dongle with a SIM card and have had for a couple of years. I have as already stated got hold of a MiFi which to be honest is far more suited to our needs when at our place in Calis.

The MiFi is unlocked for any network in UK. I suppose the question is will the UK one work in Turkey and if so how much to register it. What I do not want to do is register it and then it still does not work!!

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 20:50:40 PM »
If it works in the UK on an unlocked basis, then it is pretty certain it will work in Turkey providing it has been registered with the tax office and a mobile carrier (recommend the larger Turkcell shop near to the Turk Telcom Office).  As to costs see my comments above.  Good luck

Offline madmart

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 16:56:42 PM »
Apologies for the tardy response. I'll find out in approx. 2 months and let you all know how I get on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf