Author Topic: How many of you are new home owners in the last 12 months  (Read 5846 times)

Offline DANKY

• Never red
How many of you are new home owners in the last 12 months
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Just a thought that usually by now i am reading about people being excited & asking questions about  furnishing there new homes, is it me or does it  seem quieter on people buying this year?

We have had our Villa about 6 years now looking to have bought it as  long term investment (how long is long term going to be thou ) and will it turn out to be a good investment after all ?

how many People are now thinking that there investment is not going to be so lucrative after all?

How many people have purchased homes in the Calis area in the last 12 months is the question because if people are not buying house prices will stay static or even drop?

Danky
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:47:31 PM by DANKY »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: How many of you are new home owners in the last 12 months
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
Three have changed hands on our site (12 apartments) in the past 12 months - 2 to English buyers las- t Summer - both had been on the market for a couple of years and went at about 10% below original selling price - purchased in 2006.

The third one has gone this weekend - to a Turkish buyer from Ankara - after being on the market for 4 years and again has gone at about 15% less than original selling price in 2006.

To me it would appear there are many more Turkish buyers about - and looking for a bargain - which you can't blame them - but they are willing to negotiate to a "sensible bargain" - as opposed to the chancers who will always be around.

Offline col

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 15:30:05 PM »
Well, even though I do still own a small apt in Turkey, perhaps there is a lull in buying there, and possibly
from western buyers in general, due to (can we say!) a more political view.
Constant changes with visa and residency laws/rules etc and SGK, and as what we have come to expect,
nothing appears to be clear cut, some changes being rushed in and then put on hold again, these factors combined with certain areas of unrest etc etc and a certain man believing he can do as he want.
On a personal level, I would question if many people who had been considering purchasing property in Turkey,
have simply been put off.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 19:48:27 PM »
We bought because we loved the area and wanted a holiday home which we hoped would stay in our family. We did not buy for an investment, we also do not rent out. 
I think we could have found much better investment opportunities in the U.K. if that is what we had wanted.
I would say we have loved every minute of the time we spend in our place in Calis and Inshallah hope to spend more time there very soon.   ;D

Offline Menthol

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 20:36:02 PM »
I'm a recent purchaser (signed over and got the keys in January this year).

We bought as a family - me and my husband and our three adult children. We didn't buy as an investment in terms of making a rental income from the house but as a potentially permanent home for me and my husband and a holiday/second home for the kids. And our other family members too.

Talking to the agent who sold us the house and another I viewed with, both in the last week, the market is apparently reasonably buoyant. Plenty of Turkish buyers from the bigger cities wanting holiday homes. The Russian market seems to have dropped off I was told. However, there are other nationalities searching the area for properties - Azerbaijanis, Afghanis, Dutch and Kazakhstanis.

Perhaps a quieter British market has more to do with how things are economically in the UK than Turkish politics. Have also been told that there seems to be an increase in people looking to long term rent than buy, at least initially.

Offline cenk

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 21:10:11 PM »
Russian market dropped off ?? Much busier nowadays ...

Offline WendyA

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »
I'd like to think that they will call a halt to new builds whist there still seem to be a lot of unsold properties out there. In the less than 3 years since I've had my place there has been masses of new building around me and I dread Octobers and the potential for something springing up in front of my villa!
Coming out soon and wait to see what the new complex behind looks like!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
Wendy - hi - a neighbour of ours "who owns 3 villas - lives in one rents 2 for holiday lets to Turkish people) - runs his business from under a gazebo in the garden - even though his  business (and he and his wife, mother and children) are from Istanbul  where he is a travel agent.

This man is no fool and he reckons that anywhere in Mugla - is now almost worth 50% more than it was last year. He says that the government have put additional taxes onto land for builders in order to stop / slow down development in Mugla province and we are beginning to see a slowdown around here now. The extra tax ploy is the ruling party's way of stopping building without legislating to stop it!

He says the price of the land combined with the additional taxes means it is uneconomical to build new builds in the Mugla coastal regions. He told us he bought the 2 villas behind him for £75,000 4 years ago and he has just turned down an offer of £150,000 - so he said we should all be smiling!!

We will see but the logic is right and the slowdown has started  incidentally he said when he moved here 4 years ago from Istanbul the population of Fethiye was 80,000  he says it is now fast approaching 130,000 - because all over Turkey people know how beautiful it is here in Fethiye - so there is light at the end of the tunnel    :)

Offline WendyA

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
Thanks for this, Ian - sounds promising! I wasn't expecting to make money on my property, just enjoy it, but, hopefully not lose on it! A lot of further building - especially in front of me will undoubtedly not help, either in re-selling it (whenever that is!) or realising a sensible price! I'm sure this is the same for many.
Do you know when the extra tax was applied from? When can we all feel a little 'safer'?!

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 17:09:30 PM »
I did read in one of the Local Fethiye papers posted on line, that were moves afoot to bring in a yearly tax on the increased value of your property, not just when you sell it. I don't see how this could possibly work, but maybe it is a ploy to stop this increase in house prices

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf