Author Topic: How many of you are new home owners in the last 12 months  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: How many of you are new home owners in the last 12 months
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 18:03:50 PM »
They have similar systems in other countries (Spain, America) a bit like council tax banding and it is not intended to stop property prices increasing - it is just another way of raising taxes   ;)

Offline peter e golden

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 18:19:13 PM »
'This man is no fool and he reckons that anywhere in Mugla - is now almost worth 50% more than it was last year. He says that the government have put additional taxes onto land for builders in order to stop / slow down development in Mugla province and we are beginning to see a slowdown around here now. The extra tax ploy is the ruling party's way of stopping building without legislating to stop it!

He says the price of the land combined with the additional taxes means it is uneconomical to build new builds in the Mugla coastal regions. He told us he bought the 2 villas behind him for £75,000 4 years ago and he has just turned down an offer of £150,000 - so he said we should all be smiling!!'

I have to say I have this 'argument' expressed so many times over the years.  However, as I understand the housing market in, Turkey prices have not gone up since 2008 - since the global crises hit.  In-fact for many they have gone down!

Would love to know what others think?
Regards, Pete   

Offline peter e golden

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 18:21:31 PM »
'This man is no fool and he reckons that anywhere in Mugla - is now almost worth 50% more than it was last year. He says that the government have put additional taxes onto land for builders in order to stop / slow down development in Mugla province and we are beginning to see a slowdown around here now. The extra tax ploy is the ruling party's way of stopping building without legislating to stop it!

He says the price of the land combined with the additional taxes means it is uneconomical to build new builds in the Mugla coastal regions. He told us he bought the 2 villas behind him for £75,000 4 years ago and he has just turned down an offer of £150,000 - so he said we should all be smiling!!'

I have to say I have heard this 'argument' expressed so many times over the years.  However, as I understand the housing market in, Turkey prices have not gone up since 2008 - since the global crises hit.  In-fact for many they have gone down!

Regards, Pete   

Offline peter e golden

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 18:24:39 PM »

I have to say I have heard this 'argument' expressed so many times over the years.  However, as I understand the housing market in, Turkey prices have not gone up since 2008 - since the global crises hit.  In-fact for many they have gone down!

Regards, Pete   

Regards, Pete   

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 18:34:11 PM »
I think his point was "last year" - i.e the prices were at their lowest point.

I know someone who paid £89k for a property in 2006/7 in Calis and sold it for £60k in 2012/13 after having it up for sale at higher prices for 2 years - so if that same property that was sold for £60k last year was now valued at £80k then it would be a 33% increase for the "new" owner but still worth 10% less than it was originally purchased for.

So that would indicate that the curve is turning upward   :)

Offline thekeyclan

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:46 AM »
As a owner of property in Ovacik I wish I could share your friends optimism Ian. However, in my opinion, the last few years have generally seen prices remain static at best. Most of the owners I know who have had there property on the market in recent times, still have, or have ended up with 'stressed' sales resulting in the ultimate sale price being much lower than the asking price. I was an estate agent for 15 years in the UK and during my time (80-90's) there were some difficult times when sales activity was slow, if land was for sale, the the land owner would ultimately have to accept a price lower than anticipated. If tax is increased on the purchase of land in Turkey, then I believe in time the sale (because a vendor wants/needs to sell) price is almost certainly going to have to reflect this. The key to future property being built (and the value of our own properties!) is wether there is land available that has the appropriate building permission, and as I see it, there are still many pockets (large and small) still to be built on. Property transactions and there price are dictated by supply and demand, and until there is little or no further new build opportunity (which some incidentally I feel continue to improve on in both design and quality) I believe price increases of second hand sales will sadly continue to be relatively hard to come by.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
I don't think anyone bought in Turkey for an investment.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
No, most of us didn't but it would be nice, if, when we decide to sell up we haven't made a loss.
An owner on our complex sold up last year for £13k less than she paid. 
I'm sure holidays over the same number of years would not have cost as much

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 14:28:05 PM »
We sold for a profit last year

Offline WendyA

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 14:33:55 PM »
Well done!  As a matter of interest, how long had you had the property for?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf