Author Topic: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?  (Read 7765 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?
« on: September 12, 2014, 15:20:35 PM »
Running at 50:50 in Scotland at the mo - but what if English, Welsh and Northern Irish had a vote too? Not scientific of course, as other nationalities will vote in the CBF poll too  :)

Offline onefurtheroad

Re: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 20:18:30 PM »
You actually raise a good point Scunner. Scotland leaving the UK affects the English, Welsh and N Irish. If we go independent then I can only imagine it will weaken the rest of the UK. Maybe everyone should have had a vote!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 21:05:52 PM »
I agree and I think it's a short sighted and selfish attitude by the "yes" campaign. We've (all of us) have just come through the worst recession since the first world war, millions have lost jobs, the UK is just getting back on it's feet and could soon become an economy to out perform Germany. But sod all of that, let's plough on and potentially wreck that recovery and hey, what is there to loose? If the Scottish Nation votes "No" the weak west minsters will give more powers and cash to Scotland, the average support where Scots get £200 per head more than the rest will grow larger. If they vote "Yes" then you get Alex running the country but can always say that the politicians south of the border held back the potential of an individual nation which financially contributes less than a third of the city of London.

Thinking about it, I'm coming more supportive of the "Yes" campaign.

But to answer your question, I would always vote to retain the United Kingdom and I suspect would many more ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 21:21:24 PM »
People on the Yes side suggest The UK is scared to death of a future without Scotland. I don't worry about that at all. In the event of a yes vote I worry only for Scotland.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 21:49:18 PM »
I've never known anything like it in my life. It has divided families, caused rows amongst neighbours, No campaigners being called "Traitors", "scumbags",  "Braindead" among other things. A lot of it IMHO is football mentality. ie anti English brigade. They don't have the foresight to see beyond a win against the English. I am gutted at how this is panning out, the aggression thats around,ect is awful. I am Scottish through and through, and very very proud of it but as such, I am part of a United Kingdom and hope with all my heart, it stays like that.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 22:16:20 PM »
Totally agree Toky.  The bitterness from the Yes campaign is terrible, they seem to think if you Vote Yes you don't love Scotland.   
The No people just want to get away from England and Westminster, purely because of the fact they think the English are the enemy.   They say Scotland will be a fairer and better place with Independence, but ask of them to name one way it will be fairer and they will refer you to some SNP leaflet.  None of them know.
I love Scotland.  I love living here my children and my grandchild are Scottish, but I still know Scotland will be stronger and better as part of the U.K.  We are a small island why divide and make us smaller? 

Offline onefurtheroad

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 22:31:27 PM »
Here, Here! I'm with you, ladies. I am proud to be Scottish and am proud to be part of the United Kingdom. I cant believe the bad feeling and resentment all this has caused. Not only are we unpopular with the rest of the UK but we have divisions with family/friends/workmates. I don't know how we will recover from this. I'll bet productivity in Scotland has fallen dramatically in the last few weeks as arguments rage on and on. The sooner it's over the better!!  :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 22:44:48 PM »
It's an odd situation here. Alex was in town when I went in to meet the Mrs from work, it's fairly obvious that the entourage came with Alex as part of the package - as did the slightly intimidating hefty bouncers in black suits positioned just out of TV shot. But I also you have to admit he's a likeable individual, and he knows how to play to the crowd. 

I'm possibly outside the norm - an English voter with recent and relevant Scottish heritage, who loves Scotland with all my heart - and who voted SNP at the last two elections; but cannot vote for Scottish independence, ever.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 23:04:07 PM »
I actually cant find one redeeming feature on Alex Salmond Keith. He is so far up his own ar$e. I've never liked him as I think its all about him and getting into the history books. He will be the ruination of this once proud nation. God helps us to recover from the damage this man has done already, and its not over yet. :(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 23:30:47 PM »
I agree Tokes, but he can appear, as an individual human, quite likeable. I saw him doing it first hand today. It doesn't mean he is likeable, it means he knows what to do to portray that. And he does it very well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf