Author Topic: The King is dead....Long live the King  (Read 6560 times)

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
Re: The King is dead....Long live the King
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:42:42 PM »
Money for the burial has come primarily out of private donations and trust funds. The authorities at Leicester have constructed a £4 M visitors centee. It is estimated that this investment will bring in £150M / anum, and thus provide employment for people in years to come. I'd say that was money well spent.     

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 14:34:35 PM »
I saw the crowds on the news yesterday queuing for over 1 hour just to file passed the coffin. 
It looks like Leicester will be a big winner here as so many tourists will love the story of the King being found under a car park and being re-buried in the Cathedral.   
Also, re, the old chestnut about the NHS.  They will ultimately benefit from all the new employment and the taxes raised.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 16:19:16 PM »
YAWN !!   : :) ???

Offline scorcher

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2015, 18:03:08 PM »

I think that charlie boy and that horse that he married, should foot the bill, no particular reason behnd my thinking, I hate the whole feckin' lot of them !!
  YAWN!  :D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2015, 20:20:50 PM »
I think that charlie boy and that horse that he married, should foot the bill, no particular reason behnd my thinking, I hate the whole feckin' lot of them !!
  YAWN!  :D

Sorry, I'm with GordonA. Present lot are a waste of space, with the odd exception.

I do think the royals of the past prove their worth, though.

And for what it's worth, in my view he should have been buried in Yorkshire.  >:(

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2015, 20:52:17 PM »
Yorshire didn't want him for five hundred years until someone else cared enough and did all the hard to find him.
Then Yorkshire saw the pound signs and common sense went out the window.
I do believe that Yorkshire should be compensated, with a 10 % cut of the increased revenues that will be generated
from the newly available council car parking space. Seems fair.
As for Andrew and Edward and their broods, they should be made to fund their own lifestyles.  Parasites

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 22:23:48 PM »
i suppose everyone who wants rid of the Royal Family would like to see President Cameron... or come to think of it how about President Blair??
I am not a great Royalist, but I know they bring in a lot of money through tourism to our country and I am willing to hear alternatives to them??

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 22:46:17 PM »
A lot of the Royals are a tremendous asset to our country.
The ones I mentioned should be stripped of their titles and
their funding from the Royal purse.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 01:32:35 AM »
I've thought long and hard about replying on  this thread.  First and foremost I feel it important that we remember the impact this small island nation has had in the eyes of the rest of the world.  That is in no small due to our monarchy, much of whose costs are funded by the Queen these days.
Richard III is much reviled according to the history books, but as someone once said....history is always written by the winners, and thus the truth is not necessarily the true case.  Much of Richard's ignominious reputation can be laid at the door of William Shakespeare and his interpretation in his play Richard III.
Whilst our present Queen has no direct lineage to the Plantagenet line, only through Elizabeth of York's marriage to Henry VII, it was fitting that she paid some sort of homage to a previous monarch.
With regard to the expense of Richard III's interment - as a previous poster said, much of the money has been raised through subscription, Leicester Cathedral have funding in place, plus the revenue from tourism.  I would think the taxpayer would come off pretty lightly, despite what others on this forum think.  To my mind, having been born at Middleham in North Yorkshire and a scion of the House of York, Richard should have been interred in Yorkminster.
My own view is  that our current Monarchy is still a far better alternative to a United Kingdom/GB President, and would cost the taxpayer less money.  Furthermore if there were more nurses and less  grey suits running the NHS we'd be quids in.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 08:07:02 AM »
Thinking long and hard resulted in a reasoned and sensible post - thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf