Author Topic: A Forgiving God  (Read 11768 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: A Forgiving God
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 21:23:58 PM »
My Mother was dying of Cancer.  I went to see her and suddenly she was just speaking rubbish and the Doctor said she had had a stroke and her brain was affected, there was no hope.   I hated the thought that she would die like this without me being  able to speak to her again.
I have to tell you I prayed very hard that night that she would be able to talk to me again.  The next morning the phone rang and a voice said "Hello my best girl"  it was my Mum and she had recovered all her brain power again.  The Doctor was amazed.  It was lovely to have the conversation with her I thought  I would never have.
She died shortly after, but she was still speaking and thinking as she should have been.
So, it did work for me.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 21:28:26 PM »
Or something else did

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 21:29:08 PM »
.....sticking red-hot pokers up your arse .......

Cold end first so they burn their hands trying to take them out ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 21:29:55 PM »
You are possibly thinking about it a little too "deeply" H

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 21:32:38 PM »
Or something else did

I will believe what I believe and the wonderful feeling I had when I heard her voice, will never forget it.
Whatever anyone else thinks is no consequence to me.   :) 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 21:36:05 PM »
Do you believe in God Jacqui? I got the impression from your earlier posts in this topic that you aren't. I'm warmed by the comfort believers draw from their faith, whether I believe in it or not.

But believing in it only when you need something to go your way isn't one of the options as far as I know.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 21:47:17 PM »
Yes I do, but I still can question religion as a lot of people do.  There are things I still cannot get to grips with.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 21:48:12 PM »
Fair enough

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 22:43:59 PM »
My Mother was dying of Cancer.  I went to see her and suddenly she was just speaking rubbish and the Doctor said she had had a stroke and her brain was affected, there was no hope.   I hated the thought that she would die like this without me being  able to speak to her again.
I have to tell you I prayed very hard that night that she would be able to talk to me again.  The next morning the phone rang and a voice said "Hello my best girl"  it was my Mum and she had recovered all her brain power again.  The Doctor was amazed.  It was lovely to have the conversation with her I thought  I would never have.
She died shortly after, but she was still speaking and thinking as she should have been.
So, it did work for me.

I do understand why people may pray in times of crisis or when things look hopeless even if they profess to not being religious. I can't say that I remember turning to it in my moment of need.

I do think, in the situation you described above, and similarly with my own experience, there is a well documented moment of clarity, just before the person passes away, where some seem to be more 'normal' tha they had been in a long time

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 22:57:15 PM »
I have a very close friend who lost his first wife leaving three sons under eleven.

There is no absolutely no doubt that his faith saw him through that dreadful time.

Although we are very close and I know he wants to share his faith for my benefit, he never, ever tries to "impose" it on me.

Our local minister also offered his spiritual support after our daughters death.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf