Author Topic: Our recent experience  (Read 16914 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Our recent experience
« on: September 19, 2015, 18:36:28 PM »
The incident:

Brenda's artificial knee "slipped" after walking and climbing stairs to the apartment causing extensive swelling and a great deal of pain.

The hospital:

We went to Esnaf arriving at 20:45 and were immediately shown into the emergency suite where a doctor examined Brenda's injury and organised an x-Ray. Shortly after that an English speaking lady confirmed that an x-Ray had been organised and that we would met again when the results were known.

This took place shortly afterwards with the doctor explaining that he did not have enough English to explain what exactly the problem was but that another consultant would and that Brenda would be staying the night. We were taken up to the ward approximately 35 minutes after we arrived.

Brenda was put in a private room with eh suite shower, fridge, safe and fold down bed - in the maternity wing !!!

The treatment:

Treatment consisted of ice packs to reduce the swelling, antibiotics to counter any infection and pain killers. The ice packs were not changed nearly regularly enough. At one point during day two, an English speaking lady from the Tourist Office advised that the consultant was considering replacing the knee !!!

Brenda was discharged first thing on the third day with pain killers and a set if crutches.

The Insurance:

On arrival we were asked for passport and copy of insurance policy, both of which we had taken. It was explained to us that the hospital staff would contact the Insurance company.

We were the wished good luck in filing in the 8 or so forms we were presented with. I just about managed but if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a similar position, we were asked for things like flight numbers, home doctor's details etc.

It was explained that the insurance company would be consulted regarding the possible knee replacement.

We were asked to pay the excess on the insurance policy before we left which we did by Credit Card.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to fire away.

Offline Jim Fraser

Re: Our recent experience
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 18:57:18 PM »
Get well soon Brenda.

H have PM'd you.i

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Our recent experience
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 19:35:57 PM »
Firstly want to express get well wishes.
I have heard lots of things recently about the Esnaf only being interested in making money these days.
Our own experienced there havent been great, sequences of errors, and bad attitude of tourist office staff which resulted in me putting in a formal complaint about all the issues we had experienced. ( I had a very nice reply and they reimbursed the cost of Johns repeat lenses due to the wrong prescription, blah blah )

Have you had another opinion?
The staff at Letoon are fab and always a superb service from the translators.
Is Brenda going to be having a knee replacement ?
Or was that just their suggestion?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 19:46:46 PM »
Kayakebab - thanks for your kind wishes

Brenda has always known that she would need a full replacement at some point.

I confess to being sceptical about the offer if a knee replacement the following day. Seemed driven by money.

Fairly obvious that insurance company said no and thereafter they couldn't get Brenda out quick enough knowing that they were only getting the excess.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 19:47:31 PM »
Get well soon Brenda.

H have PM'd you.i

Your very kind offer very gratefully received Jim

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 21:08:04 PM »
One interesting aspect which I don't know the answer to ?

I took out insurance cover strictly between our holiday dates (have subsequently been told that other people take insurance for one week either side of travel dates).

Would insurance have covered us if Brenda's treatment had overrun the dates on the policy ?

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 21:38:35 PM »
Yes it would as the claim commenced within the policy period.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 22:54:24 PM »
Sorry, I can't help with your queries John, but please give Brenda our best wishes for a comfortable remainder of your holiday. xx  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 22:56:26 PM »
Lovely to see you both last night and have to say Brenda is a real trooper and was coping so well and she looked lovely.  Best wishes from Phil and I that you both enjoy the rest of your holiday and don't forget to let us know if you need anything.  It would not be a problem.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
So sorry to hear about Brenda's slipped knee and hope she is still able to enjoy her holiday...  And you too of course.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf