Author Topic: My experience at the ESNAF hospital in Fethiye  (Read 7602 times)

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
My experience at the ESNAF hospital in Fethiye
« on: November 14, 2015, 16:31:41 PM »
For the last couple of months I've had a small growth on my ear that refuses to heal, it kept erupting causing a mess and looking unsightly.

I made an appointment at the Esnaf for 09.45 on Friday 13 November. I saw a dermatologist who referred me on to a plastic surgeon.

After he confirmed the diagnosis he stated it was a 20 minute job to remove the growth and he could do it there and then. We went ahead and the procedure was finished in no time.

It cost TL70 each to see the dermatologist and the plastic surgeon. The procedure cost TL3300 all payable in advance.

I was out of the hospital in under 2 hours and there was no hanging about except to sort the paper work. I was very impressed with the service and I can highly recommend the Esnaf.

I only have one observation and that was on the cost of the procedure, It's a few years since I used a Turkish private hospital and the prices have gone through the roof. From my experience they are now on a par with the private hospital (The Spire) which I use in East Yorkshire.

I hope this info is useful to help somebody to make up their mind. My wife also used the Esnaf last year and was more than happy with the service.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: My experience at the ESNAF hospital in Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 17:20:52 PM »
Well glad you are O.K. Don.  I don't  that the cost would be cheaper than the U.K.   Phil had a wart on his thumb for a long time and it would not shift.  He had it treated in the private hospital in Aberdeen (He had medical insurance with his company).   This was about 10 years ago.  They sent him the bill by mistake and he just told them and they re-sent it to his company.  The cost was £800.00.   I can tell you, we were really shocked at that.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 18:13:53 PM »
Here here glad you are ok Donm....I have to say the cost of the procedure does sound very like the cost of a procedure like that in the UK....
I used the Esnaf last year for the health tests i opted for the V.I.P package which was practically every department in the hospital and i think it worked out about £95 which included a translator service ( poor girl was and looked drained by the time we finished with all our questions!)
I have heard recently that the Esnaf is quite "money orianted" where the Brits are concerned...

Offline jackstee

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:54:42 AM »
Had two cataracts removed imported lenses and a laser job

Total cost was 2470 TL and eyes are exelent

Offline faymoore

• Enjoy your life,this is not a dress rehearsal!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 00:59:52 AM »
Here here glad you are ok Donm....I have to say the cost of the procedure does sound very like the cost of a procedure like that in the UK....
I used the Esnaf last year for the health tests i opted for the V.I.P package which was practically every department in the hospital and i think it worked out about £95 which included a translator service ( poor girl was and looked drained by the time we finished with all our questions!)
I have heard recently that the Esnaf is quite "money orianted" where the Brits are concerned...

Sue & myself also had the VIP health check at Esnaf, that was earlier this year Karennina.
The cost was then, YTL500 each - (GBP125.00)
Excellent service, all done by mid afternoon & even more important a clean bill of health!

Compared with BUPA equivalent in UK IMO still very good value.
Recommend.
Dave.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »

I don't think that is necessarily a fair comment. Earlier this summer, a friend, who works at the cat house was badly scratched by one of the less tame moggies in their care. She went to the Esnaf for tetanus / rabies jabs & was told by the tourist desk staff that if she went to the Devlet the treatment would be free of charge, whereas the Esnaf would charge. Seems fair enough to me.

My own experience was roughly 18 months ago, when I had treatment for basal skin cancer, including reconstruction, by the plastic surgeon, who I understand is one of the leading guys in his field, not just in Turkey, but worldwide. The op was done 24 hours after getting the 1st set of path results (only delayed by lack of theatre space), 3 staff present throughout, IRO 20 local anesthetic injections, coutless stitches, a 2nd set of path results & 5 x follow up appointments, 2 of which were mainly to remove stitches. All for 5000tl. Not exactly OTT especially considering I wasn't having to go back & forth to the UK

Offline bigonah

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
Non of private hospitals if Fethiye could do rabis jabs. Thats why you have been told to go to Devlet hospital.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »

I don't think that is necessarily a fair comment.

A more accurate statement would be that the Esnaf, like many other private hospitals in resort areas, have reputations for being fairly aggressive when it comes to billing foreign tourists.  I've heard numerous complaints over the years about unnecessary tests and procedures being carried out when the initial ailment appeared fairly minor, so many that the phrase "no smoke without fire" comes to mind.

At the end of the day though, they are simply a business like any other...

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
I have also heard that private hospitals send out agents to trawl hotels "inviting" them to send ill or injured guests to their hospitals first in return for a proper show of the hospital's gratitude in the appropriate manner. The first question the patient will be asked is "Do you have travel insurance" as this will determine the kind, and extent, of treatment supplied. This view was expressed by a UK GP employed as a travelling medic for the insurance companies. He stressed this did not apply to all private hospitals. However this is not easy to sort the good from the bad if you have just broken your leg.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
I think the plastic surgeon did an excellent job on my ear, my wife descried it as a nice bit of embroidery.  I can't wait to get the stiches out on Saturday so I can get a decent shower.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf