Author Topic: Wonder what this will mean  (Read 10711 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Wonder what this will mean
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 17:33:40 PM »
Sorry George, not that I know of - maybe try Google? Most folks I know in Istanbul use (or did use) booking.com

JF

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 17:45:42 PM »
Tatil Budur, Tatil Sepeti, tatil.com, etstur, tatil vitrini
We just used Tatil  Budur to book our Greek Island trip.
By sending evidence of our residency we saved 140€ each compared to Celestyals English page.   

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 18:23:12 PM »
Last year I booked our hotel in Portugal with lowcostholidays. Like other companies they book rooms up front (in this case in €) and then don't settle the bill (in this case by changing their £s into €s) until just before you go. You know the story ... referendum, £ drops 10% in one day against € and stays down, cost of rooms goes up 10% in £s, lowcostholidays can't pay and goes bankrupt, hotel booking cancelled. Booking direct with hotel all you have to worry about is the hotel going bankrupt not the vagaries of international currency fluctuation.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 18:34:55 PM »
Not the biggest fan of booking.com since they let us down on NYE. Also since we found out that they charge the hotel/B&B 17%.

Always worth looking at booking direct or ringing to see if they can offer a discount. Mention booking.com and they often either discount or add something extra.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 18:48:43 PM »
Booking. com's  base commission is 15%.  Smaller, independent establishments can end up paying up to 30% while the big chains, Hilton et al, pay a negotiated rate which I've been told is a lot less than 15%.

If you increase (voluntarily) their commission, you get more prominence on the site and appear higher up the page(s).

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 19:09:25 PM »
I have found going direct to hotels in Turkey is often more expensive than the booking websites. I have also enquired direct and been told to book via the websites, again more than once.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 20:25:16 PM »
Shows how different the hotels are in Turkey.  The one in Icmeler told us they would always beat booking.com.
Also, when my son was married, a wedding guest coming from Malta, contacted the Oykun by phone and got a great cheap deal.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »
If hotels will always beat the booking sites, why then bother to allow their hotels to be listed on them. I use booking.com all the time and hotels have never been cheaper when I've looked at their web prices. One hotel we use for an occasonal weekend away, will say they will price match, but never has been cheaper.

Offline Diverbaz 1

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »
Stayed AI for 3 nights in Antalya recently, 517tl total, booked with Booking.com. Price at reception 478tl per night.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
I don't think Hotel will always beat the booking price, but does no harm to check, as they are on booking sites to get publicity and obviously, they have to pay the booking sites commission on bookings.
We stayed in an Hotel in Istanbul, we paid cash got 10% off the price and we did check it on on booking sites, but it as cheaper to book directly.   Before we left, they told us always to contact them for a price if we were coming back.
We have just dealt directly for a place next New Year, again cheaper by contacting the accommodation directly.
I can only speak as we have found. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf