Author Topic: Cruise Ships v All Inclusive  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Cruise Ships v All Inclusive
« on: November 07, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
I start this thread with the hope of learning something not to air my opinions - because I don't have any yet, only questions. I notice that some people rail against AI hotels mostly on the grounds that people who stay there enjoy all the attractions of a resort but then many go back to their hotel instead of spending money in local bars and restaurants and so on. But what about cruises ships? Don't the guests on these do the same? How much do their holidaymakers spend in the resorts? I have not been either to an AI hotel or on a cruise - and am unlikely to ever do so - so I don't know what is usual. But I notice that the Turkish government is offering a $30 per guest subsidy to cruise companies to attract these cruisers so presumably they reckon each couple turns a profit of over $60 for Turkish companies - unless it is only for PR purposes.

So ... are Cruise Ships better than All Inclusive for local economies?

Offline Steve A

Re: Cruise Ships v All Inclusive
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:53:06 PM »
I think it’s similar in a lot of ways but neither for me iam afraid.I have been AI and because of this would not want to take a cruise if that  makes sense.
Although in some ways very similar in others they both have a different but similar effect on local tourism i.e. AI guests tend to stay in a lot not contributing and once you get one you seem to get a few which all have an adverse effect on the economy.
Cruises I think bring a hit and run type spender and businesses put up prices to capitalise which puts off non cruise guests because places become  too expensive,again a downturn will inevitably ensue.
I think !

Offline scorcher

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 13:34:35 PM »
I seem to remember you railing against the use of So as a sentence starter Colwyn ....... just saying!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 13:51:21 PM »
I seem to remember you railing against the use of So as a sentence starter  start to an answer Colwyn ....... just saying aaarghh!
Glad you are paying attention at the back, but a little more precision needed. 7/10
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 14:05:24 PM by Colwyn »

Offline Daffodil2017

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 14:53:49 PM »
A lot of people don,t even leave the ship's when they stop in ports.My grandchildren like staying on board and can,t be bothered with making the journey into the resort's,they would rather do the ship's activities.Not my attitude but that is the way it is.

Offline sadler

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 15:15:19 PM »
Took a cruise of the Adriatic a couple of weeks ago. Our first “grown up” cruise (done a taster and one on a working boat in Norway previously). Not really our thing but after the initial cost, it was the cheapest holiday we have ever had.  The shops were full of touristy junk and the food and drink didn’t tempt us too much as there is more than sufficient on board. Shame, as I had cash, cards and cheque book with me which were just crying out to be used!  :(

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 18:09:41 PM »
We had a big family holiday at La Zenia in Torrevieja the first year the all inclusive was introduced. We couldnt believe it, the kids drank pop and ate so much icecream, that combined with all the food and alcohol we consumed it was hard to see where they would make any profit. Think the kids went on one trip and we never left the hotel. The entertainment was good hotel was very nice and later featured on wish you were here with Judith Chalmers. Think that was our only venture into all inclusive land. We have never been on a cruise either, although my niece and her husband went on one for the first time last year and raved about it. I quite like the concept of being entertained every night and day if I so wish..I do need entertaining. Still think I would like to give it a go, at least once.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 21:52:51 PM »
We have done both and I think that people tend to be more likely to leave a ship than a hotel. There are both kinds in either. We frequently met people who freely admit to never leaving the hotel, and people that are out on trips or exploring every day. Same on the ships - not forgetting that some people are not able to leave the ship and stay on.

I would definitely say that a larger percentage of people leave cruise ships than AI hotels - but we found that we went for a look around and returned to the ship - often to have lunch etc. So it is shorter bursts of more people than with AI.

The Turkish government need to do more than just offer $30 per person - our itinerary for next May has dropped Kusadasi due to 'political unrest' and $30 per person won't be bringing any P&O cruise ships to Turkish ports at all next year (as for this year).

Instead of going to Kusadasi it will be Rhodes, which is an opportunity for us to relive our day trips there from when we lived in Turkey. I plan to visit McDonald's, BHS and Marks & Spencer; then grab a taxi to the Spar hypermarket to buy loads of pork, cheese and McVitie's chocolate digestives.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 16:15:47 PM »
I know a few who cruise but don’t spend much ashore. Why would they if they have bought a drinks package and the food is free?

We once met my wife’s sister and her hubby in Cádiz. We were having lunch in a lovely little place but they declined due to having to pay for it.

Sadly they missed a lovely tapas.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Cruise Ships v All Inclusive
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 18:11:34 PM »
There are those people, however we tend to take the opportunity to have lunch in the resort/port town. Sometimes there’s not a great deal to see and your back on the ship in time for lunch - other times you sight see, stop for a drink and people watch, go for lunch somewhere pleasant looking etc and nearly miss the ship   

I would say that overall, we spend more money off ship in a week than we do outside AI resort. There’s always the feeling on a cruise that you are only there for a day so you better make the most of it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf