Author Topic: England V Tonga RL World Cup semi-final  (Read 1979 times)

Offline daveG

England V Tonga RL World Cup semi-final
« on: November 26, 2017, 15:57:21 PM »
What a cracking game this turned out to be. In an emotional semi-final game played in Auckland  England only just managed to get over the line with a 20pts to 18 win, having been ahead 20-0 with barely 6mins to go. Tonga in fact went over for a further try with seconds to go but were denied with a disputed knock on.
Never seen such an enthusiastic crowd or heard "hymns" being belted out so loud throughout the game in my 60+ yrs of watching RL.
It was a credit to the game.

Offline Dennis Vint

Re: England V Tonga RL World Cup semi-final
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 16:22:16 PM »
daveG......I agree.  Superb game and a good advert for Rugby League.  If that last move had been referred to the video ref we may well have lost.
To see and hear that Tongan support was an experience that will stay in my mind for a long time................just wish that Leigh Centurions had that support!  Ah well...........we'll just have to try for Super League again next season.  Whichever team you support I wish you well.    :)

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 17:13:51 PM »
Totally agree with all that's been said. Best match of the tournament so far. Even watching on tv you could feel the atmosphere! Even the players said they'd never been involved in a match like that before.
Now for the Aussies next week.
Come on Jerry, keep those tries coming!

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 23:33:38 PM »
Agree. That was probably one of the best games I've ever seen. England played outstandingly well and there defence was superb until that incredible last 8 minutes. My heart was really in my mouth right up until the final whistle. Personally I think the final play was a loose carry leading to the knock on, but I would say that wouldn't I. Don't worry Dennis, we'll still have a good following next season and I'm confident we'll get back into Superleague where we belong.  ;)  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf