Author Topic: Travel insurance  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Travel insurance
« on: November 04, 2018, 20:30:22 PM »
A sad tale indeed and I am not sure why the insurance company are not paying out, but surely a stark warning about making sure your travel insurance covers you adequately.

From the BBC website..........

"Friends of a seriously ill Scottish man stranded on an island in the Indian Ocean are raising money to fund an air ambulance to bring him home.

Jon Paul McAllister, from Rutherglen, was diagnosed with bowel cancer earlier this year.

After treatment and being "given the all clear" he traveled on a "holiday of a lifetime" with his fiancé.

But he is now in hospital in Reunion Island unable to return to Scotland.

The 38-year-old social worker told BBC Scotland he is "desperate" to get home so that there can be a "proper investigation" of what is wrong with him.

The holiday to South Africa, Madagascar and the Seychelles with his partner Craig Park was to celebrate the end of his treatment.

However, shortly after arriving on holiday, he became extremely unwell and spent two weeks in what the couple described as an "unsanitary medical facility" in Nosey Be in Madagascar.

Mr McAllister said it was "vile, filthy and insect-infested".

Mr McAllister says he is "desperate" to get back home to Scotland
He was later transferred by air ambulance to Reunion but scans showed the cancer had returned and he was not medically fit to fly home in a commercial airline.

Friends back in Scotland have started a crowdfunding effort to cover the costs of his treatment and an air ambulance back to Scotland, which they say Mr McAllister's insurance company will not pay out for.

By Sunday evening, their JustGiving page had attracted more than £14,000 of donations, with a target of £35,000.

His fiancé Mr Park told BBC Scotland: "We have no idea what's wrong with Jon Paul. At first they said it was an infection, now the medics are saying it might be kidney related or another tumour. It's really important to get a final answer.

"At moment I'm feeling really scared. All my focus is to get Jon Paul home.

"It's been a massive shock for him and he's really scared too, just desperate to get home.""

Offline Ray1951

Re: Travel insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 21:46:22 PM »
As usual my fellow countrymen dig deep in situations like this.  I live in Cambuslang, (next to
Rutherglen),where people are quick to help anyone in need of help.  I wish this man a good recovery.
Having worked in tourism, I’ve seen many instances where people travel without or inadequate
travel insurance.  Many people think that their bank cover them for all travel insurance situations,
which it doesn’t.  Sadly insurance companies go into every nook and cranny if you make a claim,
so ensure that you cover everything when taking out travel insurance.  I have seen families lumbered
with huge bills because one of their family wasn’t covered by travel insurance.  We hope that no one
needs to claim whilst on holiday but better safe than sorry.

Offline roofer

Re: Travel insurance
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 14:14:48 PM »
Does anyone know if you can get a travel insurance to last for 180 Days other than Nationwide. I know that stay sure do 100 Days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf