Author Topic: Simm cards for Mifi  (Read 1645 times)

Offline SteveJ

Simm cards for Mifi
« on: September 27, 2019, 15:44:16 PM »
I went to top up my wifi simm this morning as I've done many time in the past, the previous time being only a couple of months ago. I was told by the guy in the shop that the "rules" had recently been changed and unless you are registered as a resident a simm card is now only valid for three months and it will stop working. I had to purchase a new simm card at a cost of 150tl instead of my usual top up charge of around 60tl for 8Gb worth of data which would easily last me the two weeks that I will be here.  Does anyone know if the "rules" been changed or is this another scam to get more money out of the tourists?

Offline RichardF

• Newly Registered
Re: Simm cards for Mifi
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 17:22:44 PM »
The rules have changed and it’s not another scam. We had to do the same in August. However a friend of ours went to top up the same sim a few days ago, still within the 3 months of original purchase, and was told it had expired. He left the shop, double checked with me when I’d bought it, went back to a different shop who then topped it up with no problems. Just shows you do have to be careful.

Offline Gordon Smith

Re: Simm cards for Mifi
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 20:22:56 PM »
As above I went to my local shop in Gunlukbasi to get one months top up and paid 99tl. Went home and no connection. I have been doing this for about 2 years at least. Back to the shop and was told to go down the Turkcell shop to register the English phone. Couldn’t do it without Residence Papers, which I don’t have been here for 20 years and now have a property. Back to the original shop and had to buy a new Simcard for 100 Tl. Now no problem !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf