Author Topic: Keeping your UK email address in Turkey  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Keeping your UK email address in Turkey
« on: October 09, 2005, 16:27:47 PM »
Many ISP's will only allow you to download emails if you are actually connected to them. Quite expensive to do from Turkey.

The obvious alternative is webmail - most ISP's allow you to access your email from any connection this way - but webmail is not ideal. You need to be online to get your messages, read them, reply to them and even search them. The joy of downloading them and disconnecting to write your replies offline is not possible.

A superb answer is Yahoo Mail Plus - I have a yahoo account set up in outlook, and it allows you to add the details of other mail accounts for it to check using outlook/express.

So while I can't check my old freeserve account online because I am not on a freeserve connection, Yahoo gets them and drops them into Outlook.

It's a very reasonable $19.99 per year and has lots of other options that are very useful.

Scunner

Offline jameshhardy

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 15:34:55 PM »
Why don't you try gmail? It's absolutely great.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:52:52 PM »
Keith,
do you still pay a subscription to freeserve in order to keep your freeserve email account?
Russ

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 13:10:08 PM »
No, what will happen is your account will expire after 6 months of non-use (you are in Turkey so won't be using their 0845 number). All you do is go to their site, re-activate your account - as a non-subscription pay as you go one - and check your email using the webmail facility.

The next stage is to get an email account like Yahoo that can check it, download it etc. and set it that when you reply, your email address automatically switches to Yahoo, so if the reply you send is replied to again (by the original sender) it comes straight to your Yahoo account, not the freeserve account the sent the original one to.

That does make sense, possibly.

Scunner

Offline rowanis

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:42:50 AM »
You can generally still get your emails from abroad, the problem comes from sending them.  If you are connected using Turk Telekom - which is more than probable simply changing your outgoing mail server (SMTP) to mail.ttnet.net.tr will allow outgoing emails.

Offline Scouser

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 11:03:44 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jameshhardy

Why don't you try gmail? It's absolutely great.

I think you still need invites to get a gmail account. Although I agree it is great (especially for storing files up to about 2MB each) as you get about 2.5GB of storage and so sending an e-mail to your gmail account with an attachment will store your file on the gmail servers. That's reall cool. :D:D

Offline Ali B

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 21:36:14 PM »
Ugh have I entered another galaxy [?]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 21:37:23 PM by Ali B »

Offline Linda1953

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 17:51:11 PM »
Can't you just use your msn hotmail addresses or your ordinary yahoo addresses? Sorry completely lost here?

Linda

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 19:52:35 PM »
Yes, of course.

The main reason for this thread is for people who use email addresses specific to their UK internet service provider.

Also nerds like me who like Outlook and hate webmail.

Scunner

Offline Linda1953

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 23:03:57 PM »
LOL ok ! yes I use blueyonder but obviously because I've now sold my house I won't be connected up to their ISP and as I'll have a website business as well I will need to keep in touch with various people back in the UK.  

Ta
Linda

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf