Author Topic: Well its finally over  (Read 12485 times)

Offline busybee

Well its finally over
« on: July 16, 2010, 17:51:35 PM »
We made our first trip to Meis today to renew our residency, previously we had a 5yr residence permit.

The British folk were asked to gather round the Meis Express office in Kas and we were told that this would be the last time we could renew our visa. The cut off date for the renewal of 3mth visas will be the 10th Ocotober. After this date and you still want to renew ur visa you have to stay out of the country for 90 days.

As you would bloody expect this does not apply to Italy, Germany, France, Denmark, Sweeden, Finland and Switzerland.

He has urged us to email the Turkish Internal Affairs Ministry, the British Consulate in Fethiye the Turkish Embassy in London and anyone else we can think of. He gave us all a printed sheet with an appropiate email in Turkish and English and an email address. I will put this email on over the weekend and urge everyone to bombard officialdom with views.

I reckon 85% of foreigners residing in Turking are Brits so why are they making it so difficult to stay here?

My passport stamp says mutiple entry valid for 90 days.

So our first trip to Meis was our last.........

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Well its finally over
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 18:37:06 PM »
This is really bad surely for a great many people- so then Turkey is not looking for people to make Turkey their home or is this a way to get people to pay for residency rather than via this route? Is this considered to be a back door route anyway? I dont know just asking as I have friends that this will adversly affect.
How does it affect people who go a few times a year and maybe just pay for one visa in a 90 day period? Will they still be able to go back within that time. That might be a bit of a thicko question but I cant get my head round this - (I've been redesigning a governance structure all day and my heads fuddled!)

Offline busybee

Well its finally over
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 18:40:41 PM »
Its ok if they come for 2-3 wks, but if they stay the full 90 days then they have to stay our of Turey for 90 days. Yes its a muckin fuddle. 8)

Offline Diverbaz 1

Well its finally over
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 19:04:14 PM »

I would be careful filling out those forms, you would be admitting that you reside in turkey using tourist visas, which is against the law.

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/visa.asp?PageID=2#2

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Well its finally over
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 19:13:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Cavfan

is this a way to get people to pay for residency rather than via this route? Is this considered to be a back door route anyway?

If Turks were granted a 90 day visa to visit the UK as a tourist, and were living permanently by nipping over to France on a day trip every 3 months, there would be an enormous outcry in the UK. This is effectively what the Meis/Rhodes hop is.

This is not just a back door route, it is a total abuse of a system devised for holidaymakers. People living in Turkey on a permanent basis are residents, not tourists and as such should not be obtaining tourist visas for any reason.

Offline mrkeith

Well its finally over
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 19:35:46 PM »
A residency is £1 per day

Offline busybee

Well its finally over
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 19:40:21 PM »
All well and good you saying that from the UK S but at 4400lira per person for a 5year residency, and going up every year, some people are left with no option but to go to Meis.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Well its finally over
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 19:45:19 PM »
posted by Yogababe http://{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}36560
Now locked to keep everything together.

I'm just back from Meis for my regular Visa renewal and the news isnt good. This was to be my last trip - with effect from 14 July 2010 new regulations state that you can only stay in Turkey for 90 of 180 days. That means once you have stayed 90 days you must leave and be away from Turkey for 90 days before being allowed back in! The alternative is to purchase the Residency - which has greatly increased in price! We were advised by Meis Express to campaign against this and email the following to the Minister in the Turkish Government besir.atalay@icisleri.gov.tr  with the following
Sayin Bakan
Yeni uygulamaya ba�lanan vize rejimi biz T�rkiye'de ya�amakta olan y�z binlerce yabanciyi dogrudan etkilemektedir. Bir �ogumuzun T�rkiye'de evleri var bir diger �ogunlugumuzun ise uzun vade kiralanmis konutlari s�z konusudur.
Bundan ba�ka T�rkiye'ye yilda 3-4 hatta daha fazla sayida giri� �iki�lar yapan �lkelerimiz insanlari bulunmaktadir.
Herhangi bir uyari yapilmadan aniden ba�latilan bu uygulamayi protesto ediyor ve derhal kaldirilmasini talep ediyoruz.
Saygilarimla
Date
Name
Address & Email

Which translates to
New visa regulations are affecing hundreds of thousands of local foreigners who own houses or hold long term rental agreements in Turkey. This also affects those wishing to come to Turkey 3-4 times a year. We protest that these changes were without warning. Please cancel this decision.

If you are affected or know anybody that is affected please send this email.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 19:47:48 PM by Anne »

Offline mrkeith

Well its finally over
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 19:54:11 PM »
you mean all very well me saying that from my home in Turkey surely??

I am not disputing the fact that it goes up and up just putting it in perspective,
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 20:04:18 PM by mrkeith »

Offline busybee

Well its finally over
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 20:12:24 PM »
Thanks for your thread Diverbaz, I didnt know it was illegal to live here permantly with a tourist visa.  As I do live here full time I wish to stay within in the law. I suppose I was in "sheep mode" and followed the crowd over to Meis.  How come no one has never been arrested, as far as I know people have been doing it for years.

I understand that if in the UK foreigners were popping over to France it would be the same but they have no need to do this as their residencys are affordable!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf