Author Topic: HUMMUS  (Read 2117 times)

Offline amber

HUMMUS
« on: February 24, 2008, 18:32:24 PM »
This is not really a Turkish dish but popular all the same in certain parts of Turkey.  Is in fact Lebanese, but we Cypriots have hi-jacked it - this is the Cyprus version - the best.  Excuse me for not giving exact quantities, this is one of those dishes that you taste and add bits as you go along.  
1 small tin of chick peas - drained or you can soak dried ones and boil them till cooked. I'm too lazy.
Tahini - the light colored one (called TAHIN in Turkey)-about 4 large tablespoons
Lemons - at least two-depends how juicy they are
salt
water
olive oil
garlic -to taste-add one crushed clove to start with
sumak (a spice-not hot)
paprika (sweet one)
Put into food processor, chickpeas, tahini, crushed garlic, juice two lemons,salt, a drizzle of olive oil,two tablespoons of water, and whizz.  Then empty into clean bowl, and adjust for thickness, taste.
You may want more garlic, salt, lemon etc.  If too thick add water spoon by spoon. Put into serving bowl, then sprinkle sumak in a cross shape, then sprinkle paprika onto rest.  Drizzle with olive oil.
Serve with celery sticks, carrot strips, hot pitta bread.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
HUMMUS
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 21:30:42 PM »
 :) Ill have to print this one off Amber, a good easy tasty recipe :D ;)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
HUMMUS
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 17:57:33 PM »
i usually buy this in as i did not have a good recipe, so will try this one and let you know how it turned out

Offline amber

HUMMUS
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 20:19:23 PM »
Puma you are never going to get a good reliable recipe for any food that is middle eastern. This is because people never write down or measure ingredients.  Plus what is very important each dish is adjusted to personal taste.  With hummus for example some people like it very garlicky. Other very thick.  Just keep testing, and adding bit by bit.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
HUMMUS
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 16:22:43 PM »
thanks amber i will be heavy handed with the garlic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf