Author Topic: Mobile phones  (Read 6899 times)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Mobile phones
« on: December 11, 2008, 14:22:45 PM »
Some of you may recall in the period 18 months-2 years or so ago mobile phones brought in from the UK had to be registered or they were blocked when using a Turkish sim card.  Anyone know the current situation.... does it still apply or after the first frenzy has it fallen by the wayside ?

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Mobile phones
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 15:23:25 PM »
Might not apply BUT you'll find it's hard work getting a Sim card for them & registering them. I think if you just put a sim card in them it'll be shut off quite quickly - we heard 1-2 weeks.

We tried to get a Sim for our mobile that we weren't sure if was registered or not BUT the computers apparently were down for UK phones!!!! Carls new mobile they said they could register BUT computes down - come back next week, next week & week after the computers down - this was in a few shops in Sept/Oct.

In the end we bought a cheap Turkish phone & forgot about registering another phone - too much hassle! Maybe out of season you might have better luck BUT apparently it was the place that register them they said was down.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 17:24:23 PM »
We have now resorted to phone cards and a SIM4Travel sim that I just put in the phone when in Turkey and top up on the internet. Costs 25p a minute calling the UK.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Mobile phones
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:38:13 AM »
Migros are selling mobile phones for approx. 46Ytl. It won't make you a cup of tea, or take piccies, etc. etc. etc. but it is a phone!!:D: :)
Gordy.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 13:25:11 PM »
I have already got two English mobiles which are correctly registered and both working fine. I merely wondered what the current UK phone "Blocking" status  was.....nothing stays the same here:D

Offline kevin b

Mobile phones
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 13:30:17 PM »
What is the cost to register UK phone.Will aUK phone need unlocking to use Turkish sim.

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
Mobile phones
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 13:35:57 PM »
I got mine registered in August, the first 2 times i was told computer down, but the second time she also told me 10am, so i realised she meant they didn't do it in the afternoons, the following morning i went in and had it registered, no trouble. Alan

Offline brianthegardener

Mobile phones
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 15:31:21 PM »
I registered my UK phone, cost me 5ytl, works perfectly..no problems at all...took girl about 1 minute to do it :)

Offline saoirse

Mobile phones
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 18:27:47 PM »
where exactly do you go to get it registered

Offline brianthegardener

Mobile phones
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 19:32:39 PM »

go to the main Turkcell shop on back road in Fethiye, not far from HSBC bank, on the same side of road as bank.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 19:33:36 PM by brianthegardener »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf