Author Topic: Mobile Internet Access  (Read 14000 times)

Offline tina b

Re: Mobile Internet Access
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
thanks for the prompt reply loz  , back in the uk now but will check when i am back in a couple of weeks .
has any one been able to top up credit on line  ?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 09:22:52 AM »
I am just trying to sort through the info ready for our return to UK and then back here again.

https://csi.turkcell.com.tr/services/rechargeMGBPackets

Ignore the translations figures with the £ sign it should read TL.  T?he package ??i am currently trying to find info is the 3 month 1Gb 39.90Tl, is this pay for 3 months and at the end pay another 3 months? this is on the international travel pack. I would image log onto the internet for a short period anywhere in the world to stay connected.  (When using this service remembeer to omit the first 0 of the telephone number)

Not sure if you can pay through your Turkish bank for this one.

Offline tina b

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 23:46:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing the info , looks easy enough to use !!
I am sorry not really sure about the other tariffs i opted for the 4g for 1 month at 39 lira , the lady in the shop said i can change anytime so next time visit it might be worthwhile to go for a 3 month option and then after that I can revert to  a months credit , they also said that you can go 6 months without topping up before the sim is disconnected
I  don't have a turkish debit card, do you think English cards will be accepted

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 13:21:50 PM »
For those considering buying one of these in the UK and taking it to Turkey here's what what some poor sod had to say on the TL forum

"Hi, I originally read all the posts on various ways of accessing the internet and eventually decided to buy a MiFi in the UK as some insisted it was the best option. I parted with my £70 and bought a sim free HUAWEI E556. Arrived in Turkey 24th May, hotfooted down to the Turkcell shop where I was advised my European MiFi would not work in Turkey but I insisted it would because I had been told on this forum it would, so he reluctently sold me a sim card for 30tl took my passport and registered the sim and loaded 4gb of data for 39tl, he inserted the sim and lo and behold it worked, then it didn't, then it worked, then it didn't. "Just as I said" he said, "lots of Europeans buy these and they will not work in Turkey"
Finally my solution was to buy a mini sim for my Ipad2 for 15tl and he transferred my data allowance from the sim to mini sim.
If you need a MiFi in Turkey buy a Turkish Multi Vinn DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO SAY BUY IN THE UK, THEY DO NOT WORK.
Anybody want to buy a brand new, never used HUAWEI E556.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Mobile Internet Access
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 15:54:59 PM »
I bought a dongle from Vodafone in Turkey, paid about 70 lira I think, it seemed to work fine although I only use it in my laptop for updates during power cuts. It has stopped working recently and so I wondered if the credit is time related, I used my online banking to top up 30 TL to the phone number associated to the dongle but still doesn't work, any ideas?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 15:58:17 PM »
Rimms, if you top up phone number from Turkish bank account it could be that you topped up for phone kontors, you need to top up GB totally different animal, you put the Sim in a phone and transfer the credit to the usual phone.

Tina b.
you can buy Gb through the Turkcell website, I am waiting for my new Turkish bank card, I did think about using my uk card but then decided against it, use the links I posted previously.

When the GB are getting low you get a small envelope appear in the dongle window, to read go to http://192.168.1.1/html/login.html  user name admin, password default is admin, once in click on the envelope and it should tell you how much Gb or Mb remains (only when getting low) also envelopes to confirm credit put on, and loads of the usual rubbish info.

When I have been topping up I have just taken the card that the Sim card came out of and hand it over, I wish they sold Gb cards like phone Kontor cards.

Offline tina b

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 23:11:00 PM »
thanks again will try when I am out next, will attempt to let you know how it goes !!

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
I bought one of the mini gadgety yesterday from the Turkcell shop in Fethiye. Exactly as Loz described it, charged up the battery for a few hours and connected up to t

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
he Internet without a problem. Damn iPad keyboard is just too sensitive. Loz isn't the assistant in the Turkcell shop the spitting image of Thelma off Scooby Do?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 19:33:43 PM »
Scooby Doo and Thelma, now that you mention it ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf