Author Topic: Any Regrets?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline mike

• Broadstairs, UK
Any Regrets?
« on: September 08, 2006, 02:43:57 AM »
On discussing with my (grown-up and independent) children my intention to retire to Calis, my boy thought it would be a very good idea to try and find out any pitfalls from people who have rued the day they moved there and returned to the U.K. We have a very rosey dream of spending the rest of our lives there, and own a humble apartment. We have talked to many who have made a success of life in Calis and ,of course there are many happy people contributing to this website. Anyone got any ideas on looking at the downside? Is there a "trapped here and want to go home" thread somewhere that I may have missed!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Any Regrets?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:39:06 AM »
The only big problem is we have no regrets and nothing to complain about. Oh we did have to delete the word stress from the dictionary!
Do we want to go back to the uk .........Never in a million years. 8)

Offline teresa321

Any Regrets?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:02:19 AM »
There are certainly people returning home - Starman reported recently on one of the threads  and I think some of it was to do with the weather.

We are about to retire there and we are planning to go for good but I am a "never say never" person and if circumstances dictate we may return.  I don't know what they would be and hope it "never" happens, but we do not know what life holds in store for us - hence we are moving to Turkey and if you had told me that ten years ago I would have laughed.

Teresa

Offline BG

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:47:51 AM »
The problem is ex-pats with too much beer and too much time on there hands. Then its moaning, whinging and complaining about everthing.Everyone knows them and which bars they go in.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 13:17:39 PM »
Mike
There are people who find it difficult with the move. A couple of our friends who have been there for a year are now selling up to likely move back.  There is some good advice made recently about starting by renting and 'trying out' the experience for a while.  Alternatively a few people live 6 months in UK and 6 months in Turkey initially before moving out.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Any Regrets?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 15:52:10 PM »
Which is probably what we'll do in the next couple of years Happy Monday.

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Any Regrets?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 02:54:58 AM »
its a wonderful place to be retired in but i wouldnt like to have to make a living here..

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Any Regrets?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 09:08:59 AM »
Mike - the biggest regret I read about is that people did not do it earlier but we live in a world that is becoming increasingly insecure and rapidly changing with smaller countries having to fight for survival, globilisation and climate change. One can predict that say in 10 years time people may reflect differently on their decisons. I suppose the other consideration is whether people  are running "away" from the UK or are they running "to" Turkey. Reading some threads you can't but help  get a feeling that some people feel so stressed about living and working in the UK that they are in effect 'divorcing' England and choosing to 'marry' Turkey - but if we use that analogy statisticaly more second marriages end in failure than first ones. Will this failure rate be the same after the 7 year itch for people  that marry Turkey. But it also shows that romance i.e falling in love with a  new country isn't dead and that must be a good thing for people of all types and ages. And of course it is not unknown to re-marry your first spouse if you divorce your second!!! Hope this makes sense but I am in a reflective and romantic mood this morning.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 13:15:34 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline Fethiye

Any Regrets?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 18:16:15 PM »
Voltaire said 'Rest is a good thing, but boredom is its brother'.

So keep busy and you'll have a great time. There's plenty to do in the area if you make the effort.

Offline mike

• Broadstairs, UK
Any Regrets?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 21:30:43 PM »
many thanks to all above. Particularly Stuart, your philosophical remarks were particularly on my wavelength.
Sorry for delay in reply-had trouble with my router.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf