Author Topic: Ripping off the clients  (Read 9786 times)

Offline Cheryl

Ripping off the clients
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:06:20 AM »
While the tourist industry is at a low ebb due to Syrian conflict. you would think that the restaurants would be going all out to make sure those of us that do come to Turkey keep coming back to their restaurant. Rather than try and make a quick killing by ripping off the clients they do get.
CAFE SOUL. charged me 8 lire for a tonic water a couple of weeks ago. so I made a mental note not to have tonic there again. and not to go there if I didn't need to.
Yesterday I thought I would join the quiz in the afternoon. not wanting to get ripped off again I asked for a pineapple juice.
Later I had what was advertised as Cheese and Tomato omelette for 10 tl. The menu read served with chips.
The waiter said do you want chips. so I said yes.
When the food arrived there were 4 chips on the plate. and he bought an extra dish of chips. I thought well I walked into that one so didn't say anything. but then the chips were hard so I told them and they asked do you want us to recook them. I said yes and they took them away. after I finished my omelette the chips were returned. they were better but were still too large to cook properly. I left 1/2 of them

When the bill arrived I had been charged 9 lire extra for the chips and 8 lire for the pineapple juice. I WILL DEFINATELY NEVER AGAIN EAT AT CAFE SOUL. OR DRINK AT CAFE SOUL.  >:( :( :-[   On sunday I can have a full roast with a drink and a desert at the pines restaurant. all cooked to perfection for 20 tl They appreciate their customers and want them to return.
I come here for 3 months of the year every year. CAFE SOUL want to think about that one before they start loading the bill. Catch me once shame on you. catch me twice shame on me. the best advertising is done with the fee,t and bums on seats. do you ever see the NILL BAR empty. no. they also know how to keep their customers.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Ripping off the clients
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 08:16:49 AM »
I would be careful generally and check things prior to ordering and check bills - in fact more this year than ever. Sadly there are those who see dwindling numbers and calculate the way to get by is to make more from fewer.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:45 AM »
Later I had what was advertised as Cheese and Tomato omelette for 10 tl. The menu read served with chips.
The waiter said do you want chips. so I said yes.
When the food arrived there were 4 chips on the plate. and he bought an extra dish of chips. I thought well I walked into that one so didn't say anything.

The first question that comes to my mind is why didn't you say something at the time?  It was blatant (and pretty sneaky) upselling as the dish you ordered already came with chips.  You'd have been well within your rights to query it and say no to the additional portion.

It's not just in Turkey this kinda sh1t goes on; everywhere tourists and expats gather, some bars and restaurants see this as an excuse to print money, i.e. rip folks of by pressurised upselling and hidden extras.  Its very rare now that we'll order anything when we go somewhere new without seeing the menu/price list - and on more than one occasion we've got up and went elsewhere when it was either not forthcoming or the fare was overpriced.

Sadly there are those who see dwindling numbers and calculate the way to get by is to make more from fewer.

Ah.. now that is a definite Turkish trait.  I want x number of lira in the bank at the end of the season.  Fewer tourists?  Ok, I'll increase prices so that I still have x number of lira at the end of the season.  Turkonomics is the polite expression for it - blind stupidity is the less polite way to describe it.

You can always tell the bars/restaurants that don't practise Turkonomics, they're there and open every year with generally the same staff and owner/manager.  I've seen it over the years with bars in Istanbul as well - same principle applies, the good ones are all still there, the ones who practised Turkonomics end up closing and someone else opens them up, often pulling the same stunts regarding prices and then he close - the cycle repeats itself ad infinitum.

I think I've got my cynical hat on this morning   :)

JF

Offline anne123

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 19:24:24 PM »
Thanks for the warning i was wary of this place last season and will still avoid on return in April.

Offline charlste

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 21:37:56 PM »
It will be very interesting this year to see the bar/restaurants attitude towards the customers especially if the numbers are well down.as scunner said you should always be on your guard but this year be very careful.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 23:00:43 PM »
My hope would be that the attitude would be exactly the same be the customer be a regular or a first timer  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 23:09:35 PM »
It occurred to me that ripping off first timers might be difficult this year as there aren't going to be many...

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:18:32 AM »
I think it might be the year to check EVERY menu before you order.

It always amuses me the way some so called businessmen and women try to make a fast buck.

Dwindling crowds - just make more games Category A, Mr Cellino. Go on - even 18th v bottom of the league for £42 is acceptable to our loyal supporters.

Not selling enough beer and pies? Then add a free pie and pint to the ticket price boss. £5 should cover it.

Even here in Thailand ( which I said in another thread how honest they are) the tuk tuk drivers try it on with foreigners. Only last night we walked out of a large market to a bank of tuk tuks and were quoted 200bts (£4) to get home. We walked a few hundred yards around the corner and away from the frenzy of tourists and the cost was £1.60.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:40 AM »
Good to know that you didn't get tuked up.  ;)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 04:57:48 AM »
Ha ha - no ladyboys for moi  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf