Author Topic: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream  (Read 122682 times)

Offline gillian handbury

Re: ArtyMar's blog: buying the dream
« Reply #360 on: March 24, 2016, 16:39:31 PM »
Live your dream..... Share your worries.....we are all listening.... Gosh 7 more sleeps till next Blog!!

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
16 May 2011  London/Fethiye

BLOG 62 Crunch time approaching: email exchange

After my weekly entreaties, I receive the email (below) from Infinity. It does not make me a happy bunny. Seems to me that L, and the newly appointed ‘General Manager’, E, sick of juggling the buck, have passed it to some other poor underling in the company to reply to all Infinity’s angry clients (we are no doubt just one of many) – all demanding progress photos of their overdue, partly finished properties.  So this (stupid) woman employee sends a cheery generic email to ‘all: ’ whether they be villa or apartment owners. Another tick on her ‘To Do’ list. Easy! Done!

--------Original Message---------
To:  sales@Infinityexpresshomes.com
Sent Mon, 16 May 2011
Subject: Photos

Dear All

I hope you are well and had a nice weekend.

The photos of your villa/apartments construction will be available on Saturday this week, the same kind of general work on the sites are carrying on.

Have a pleasant day!

Regards,

Yulia K
Sales & Marketing
Infinity Express Design & Construction

Seething, I reply to L and E (I don’t even bother to copy Yulia):

Dear L and E

It is some weeks since we received the last photos and E promised me weekly photos at this stage. At great inconvenience and expense, we have now changed the time of our intended stay to August. It is vital that we know the date when the villa will definitely be finished as it is now mid May!

Please note our new flight details:

. . . (flight details)
Kindly arrange to meet us at the airport.

Of course, we wish to stay at our villa, fully furnished during these two weeks. Therefore, it is critically important that the villa with garden and pool (ready for swimming) be ready well before this time. Please confirm this. Naturally as time drags on with little progress that we can see by photos, we are becoming increasingly anxious.

We await the next batch of photos promised by Yulia for Saturday, together with confirmation of the finishing date and that you will pick us up from the airport to take us to our villa. Please reply by return.

Regards

------------

I seem to spend my time waiting for emails and attachments that don’t come but to my surprise we receive the photo attachments on the Saturday as promised. I eagerly open them – 

----------------------------------------------------------

. . .  to be continued  . . .usually posted on Thursday

Offline Saga Louts

• Newly Registered
« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2016, 15:09:37 PM »
 :-\ :'( Cant stand this much longer. But then what will I do on Thursdays when you do finish

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »
end May 2011  London/Fethiye

BLOG 63 past times and future times

The email has no message  - just attachments so I’m now clicking each to open them.

Once again, I’m overwhelmed with disappointment. What are Infinity playing at? I can’t see any difference on these images from some I’d received previously. I punch out a frustrated reply. Maybe they accidentally sent the same pictures from an earlier batch?  Inefficiency or lack of progress or simple delaying tactics? Can’t tell.

I must have made an unconscious groan (or was it a swear word?) because OH asks what I’m doing. How much should I tell him? That our dream villa into which we’ve invested so much is still far from being finished? Even though we are due to go on holiday, to stay there, to check everything and pay up the last of what is owed? In the past I would have shared these worries and together we would come to some conclusions as to the way forward. Now, though, he is still struggling with daily living and the last thing I want is to impede his progress by worrying him unnecessarily. Probably there’s also a guilt factor in there somewhere – after all, I was the main push behind this whole venture. A venture that may have an unhappy ending. 

Stop! These are negative thoughts and get me nowhere. An awful lot of building can be done in eight weeks. And would it be so awful if the villa is still not finished? It will be – soon. Surely –

I’ve cut down my teaching job from full-time to three days per week, but it is a strain, juggling the tasks of being a wife, a carer, a teacher – heck, a general all-purpose manager. Funny, how life pans out. Who would have guessed that I’d be here in England today, worrying about a property in far-away Turkey–  with two children here in the UK, one in the US, family in Australia.

OH closes his eyes; he spends a lot of time snoozing these days but that’s because he hasn’t the energy to do much else. A change of scene will do him, and me, the world of good. I too close my eyes and I’m transported back to an earlier care-free time, where the sun was so bright that the white pavements seemed to bounce up and hurt the eyes – there’s a line of swimsuits drying on the railings of the school playground (we kids often went to have a swim in the nearby Olympic pool before walking to school in the mornings). Saturday mornings playing tennis, inching our way (myself and two sisters) up the tennis league. Sudden intrusive thought: why did I subject myself to this – I hated it – dodging balls at the net when playing doubles, dozing on the high umpire stand and losing track of the score, being yelled at by other kids in the team when I (invariably) lost a key point – but in those far-gone days, Saturday mornings were meant for tennis – Saturday afternoons were for the ‘flics’: double feature matinees of cowboy films and Pathe News. Come to think of it, this wasn’t so wonderful either: why did I go? – I hated the loud bangs of the guns and the screaming and giggling and popcorn throwing of snotty-nosed boys in the rows behind (even worse in the rows in front). But that’s how it was in those far-away days. No computers, no mobile devices – phones or otherwise – no TV even. TV came late to Australia – only began happening with the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 and even then, few had it. However did we fill our time? Ah, yes – tennis, swimming, going to the flics, making mud pies and dens outside, ‘pretend’ games of role play where we (my sisters and friends) took the part of bossy teachers, and either younger children or if they weren’t available, dolls, were our compliant pupils. Yes, it all comes back and awful though some of it was, it was still a golden time and a time that’s gone forever.

I look across at OH. His eyes are still closed but a smile crosses his face. Is he dreaming or just thinking?

“OH, “ I say softly, “What is it?”

His eyes flicker open but they’re not looking at me – he’s staring into space. I lean closer and he murmurs, “Do you remember–? –“

Offline gillian handbury

« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2016, 14:58:59 PM »
Imagination & role play...bring it back!! Clothes horse for a tent....button & buckle tin.....Rag & Bone cart....played all day...Wi nowt...... Kids are still not satisfied today no matter what they have....
Anyway....Back to the question........Do You Remember what OH is asking..... Can't wait till next Thursday...

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #365 on: April 14, 2016, 18:09:28 PM »

end May 2011  London

BLOG 64 Looking back

My first feeling is of delight. OH is not just mindlessly snoozing (my worried thoughts that the prolonged surgery has damaged his brain) – he’s thinking. What?

“What?” I ask.
“Do you remember when we first met?”
Goodness! Here am I, recalling times long gone, and so is he! 

So many images from the past come crowding back. Unbelievably exciting times of youth – when the world suddenly opens up and anything is possible .  . .
The Suez canal is closed so The Northern Star has to sail from Sydney Harbour via Panama. It’s a one-class ship with the stipulation that no passenger is over the age of 25 (I’ve just turned 21). En route to Southampton, it stops at Wellington, Trinidad, Curacao, Acapulco. 5 weeks on board sharing a cabin with 5 of my art college friends (at that time sailing was a cheaper way to travel than flying– hard to believe!).  Days spent lying by the ship’s pool, nights spent rocking and rolling to non-stop Beatles music (we were never up in time for breakfast). After disembarking I could still feel the rolling and rhythm of the waves beneath my feet.

And then, arriving in London. Even now, so many years later, I can still remember the thrill and the feeling of being thrust into a different world. What struck me first was not the crowds nor the bustle nor the iconic London architecture. No, strangely it was the drab colour of my surroundings– overwhelmingly pale. Everything seemed washed out: pale skins, pastel clothes of beige, pale pink or grey and brown, pale grey/white skies. I arrived mid April. After five weeks on board I was more tanned than I’d ever been in my life, and my clothes were Sydney-fashion colours of bright orange and clashing pink, lime green (wonderful for showing off a tan), golden yellow, aqua and ming blue – exotic colours from a hot country.

I met OH only a month after arriving - at an engagement party of friends of his. I didn’t know the engaged couple; I went to the party with a guy called Joe, whom I’d met at another party. Party? Seems it was one non-stop party in those first few months. My friend from the ship, Shirley, and I rented a one bedroom/one living room/tiny kitchen & bathroom flat in South Kensington (South Ken). She had the bedroom, I used the pull-out bed in the living room which was fine – until I realized I wouldn’t get much sleep. With all the partying and bodies lying around on my living/bedroom floor, there wasn’t much room for me. The bodies were sometimes left over from the previous night’s party but other times were just friends in sleeping bags who hadn’t yet found a place to live. As for the parties and friends – we didn’t have much control. They seemed to multiply. A few friends would drop by, we’d put on a bit of music and others would “just happen to be passing – heard the music” and join in until the place was packed. I asked Shirley one day in he early hours: “are these friends of yours?” “No”, she said, “I thought they were your friends!”

Although OH and I hit it off straight away I didn’t take anything or anyone seriously in those giddy times so when he asked me for my phone number, I didn’t worry about poor Joe who’d driven me to the party and would later be taking me home. I mumbled my phone number to OH ; in those days there were letters and numbers and my phone was FRO (standing for Frobisher)7004. I didn’t think he’d remember it, but I didn’t know then that he had a head for numbers and he’s never forgotten that number. How else would I know it now?

I reach out to hold his hand. ‘Yes”, I say, “I remember when we first met”.

---------------------------------------

Offline sadler

« Reply #366 on: April 14, 2016, 19:32:04 PM »
Amazed that you remember so much Arty. Don't they say that if you remember, you weren't there!  ;D  :)  ;)  ;) you little devil, you!  ;D :o ;D

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #367 on: April 21, 2016, 09:49:02 AM »
June 2011  London

BLOG 65 Looking back: finding work

My mind swings back to those crazy days – settling in – or at least trying to settle in. It wasn’t easy finding my place in this new world, or should I say ‘old world’ for that’s what it felt like. I loved every minute, and looking back, in a strange way, I even enjoyed the embarrassing times, maybe because it gave me something to talk and laugh about with new-found friends in the evenings.

Take the time of my first-ever job in London. I desperately needed a job to pay the rent and also to save up for touring, so I joined St Paul’s employment agency for short-term office jobs, though my aim longer term was to get an art job in an advertising agency. I remember putting ticks in just about all the boxes where you list your skills. I had the attitude “why not? That can’t be too hard to learn!” That said, my first paid employment, admittedly for a pittance, was stuffing envelopes for the UN charity UNICEF. It wasn’t a skill on the list, but I knew it was something I couldn’t fail at, so turned up at the office in buoyant mood. The office was in a lovely olde-worlde building in the heart of Mayfair in London and about ten young women, were seated around a large, polished oval table with various piles of literature and envelopes. The envelopes were supposed to be self-adhesive but often weren’t, so there were a few sticky tape dispensers also on the table. When I entered the room, the low murmur of chat suddenly ceased as they stopped stuffing to appraise me.

I was introduced by a stern middle aged woman, the chief administrator (not a fellow envelope stuffer): “Ladies, this is ArtyMar, newly arrived from Australia” – and then she introduced each in turn: “Arty, this is Lady Caroline, Lady Marianne, Lady Sarah-Jayne . . .” These Ladies, Sloane Rangers in today’s lingo, were doing their charitable good works, whereas I was there to earn a crust. They all knew each other as this was like a club – I was clearly not meant to be a part of it, but it seemed there was some sort of deadline crisis and the material had to be shifted, so, head down, I got to work.  After about ten minutes, I felt the conversation had died somewhat and I looked up. They had all stopped their envelope stuffing and were staring at me. I stopped too. What was wrong? Lady Caroline leaned toward me, ever so elegantly, her long blonde hair swinging over her shoulder: “Arty”, she said, her cut-glass accent like little chips of ice “What’s the rush? Do slow down - you’re making us look bad”. 

What! How? Then I noticed that in the ten minutes I’d been there, my pile of stuffed envelopes was already twice as high as theirs. Oh dear – so I slowed right down. It was quite difficult to stuff envelopes slowly but I was helped by the fact that the flaps did not always stick. The sticky tape dispenser was at the far end of the table and the gentle murmur of my fellow envelope stuffers was beginning to rise again, so to get above it, I had to raise my voice a bit. I called out “Pass the Durex, please!”

Sudden stunned silence. So I called out again, this time into the silence, so not quite so loudly: “Can you pass the Durex?”

I then pointed to the tape dispenser. (The leading brand of sticky tape where I came from was called ‘Durex’, and just as a vacuum cleaner is called a Hoover, so sticky tape was referred to as Durex.) Slowly and deliberately Lady Caroline leaned toward me again and whispered delicately into my ear. The table erupted in titters while I turned as red as the red flowers on my dress.

I never did fit into that little circle.

My first job was meant to last a week – I’m not sure I managed a full week, but the next job was already on offer by St Paul’s so I wasn’t too worried. I’d ticked a box saying I could ‘touch type’ and so I could – sort of  –

--------------------------------------

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #368 on: April 28, 2016, 15:57:52 PM »

June 2011  London

BLOG 66 Looking back: finding more work

Ah, yes! Those days were long ago and yet I remember them so well. Now, looking back, I marvel at the arrogance of youth. Nowadays I wouldn’t dream of applying for a job for which I was unqualified; I know I’d be mortified when found out. Back then? Not at all! Everything was an adventure. Nothing tried, nothing gained: that was my motto. So I blithely went ahead and put my name down for the next job on offer from the Agency. Typing ability required. Piece of cake. My mother, herself an excellent touch typist, had shown me how to touch type at the age of eleven when I wanted to try my hand at writing a novel (a school story, Enid Blyton style – I produced enough pages to at least learn the keys and fingering on a typewriter – even if I never finished an epic masterpiece). Yes, I thought – why not? So I duly applied for the job and was accepted (ok I didn’t have a clue as to my typing speed so had to guess that part of the application form).

Turning up on the first day I was led into a room full of people banging away at typewriters. The clatter of keys was awful. I was quickly shown what to do. I had to type invoices from sheets of handwritten scrawl. Oh dear, it mainly involved typing numbers. Oops – I’d hardly ever typed numbers (not part of my novel as I recall) – so no fast touch typing for me. I forget how many days I lasted in that job, not many I suspect.

No problem. What was next on offer? Ah, using a switchboard. Had I had prior experience? Well, no – but I was sure I’d be great at saying sweetly: “Mr…., I have….on the line for you” – the job should be simple enough.

Now that job I do remember . . . with horror.

I was shown into a small room in a large office building somewhere in the city and confronted by a large vertical board. The board had little lights above rows and columns of holes. Plugged into these holes were rubber leads of different colours. These connected evidently to various telephones in various offices. I was given a five-minute demonstration/tutorial. Then after being presented with headphones and a device to talk into, with a quick “Is that ok? You’ll be ok, won’t you?” I was left to get on with it.  Help! It wasn’t long before the whole board was lit up with blinking red and yellow lights. As I madly plugged one lead into a likely looking hole, and unplugged another, I could hear a jumble of angry voices in my headphones. What a mess! Obviously, I decided, I was not cut out to be a switchboard operator. As to which was first, my resignation or being fired, I can’t remember but it was probably the latter.

Never mind, what was the next job on offer? I am smiling a bit ruefully as I recall those far-gone times – but the smile is abruptly wiped from my face. OH is touching my arm with sudden urgency. He is also remembering something and clearly either the effort or the memory is concerning him:
“Before my op, we went to Turkey, didn’t we?”
---------------------------------

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #369 on: May 06, 2016, 13:23:56 PM »
June 2011  London

BLOG 67 Back to the present

It’s taking a long time for OH to start remembering things that happened before his op in October, and the drama of recovery. I’m sure he’ll never remember the actual time in hospital which is probably a good thing. But now – finally – I’ll have to tell him that our great venture, our dream home in Turkey has not quite been the dream I intended. And yet, even with the aggravation, the slowness, the lies, the unkept promises, the fact is that the villa is being built and even if not actually completed, it’s well on the way. The question is, will it be ready for us to stay? And how much should I tell my poor OH what’s been happening (or not!).

“Yes” I reply, “and when we were there, we bought a villa – off plan, so it’s being built. Do you remember?”

To help, I show him progress photos and the original fancy folder with the computer generated pictures and floor plans. Reading his expression, I can see the wheels turning as he concentrates. The doctors were right – time is a healer, and his brain as well as body is slowly healing. I wish I could say “and guess what, we’ll be going there in a few weeks time to stay!” But I’ll believe it when it happens. Go we will; we’ve booked – but whether we’ll actually be staying in our precious, new villa with its marble floors and sparkling turquoise pool, I can’t be sure. So I hedge my bets and tell him we’ll have a wonderful holiday there and see the villa being built. I tell him it’s nearly finished and how much he’ll love it. As I talk, I’m starting to convince myself too.

I guess I’ll send another email to L at Infinity.

----------------

to be continued.............usually posted on Thursday

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf