Author Topic: Decent mobile aircon. Is there such a thing?  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Decent mobile aircon. Is there such a thing?
« on: February 18, 2011, 15:10:53 PM »
I don't get to visit my place as often as I'd so I don't really want to go to expense of having permanent air-conditioning. So I'm wondering, are there any decent mobile air con units available to buy locally?

Cheers.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »
Yes, you can buy small portable air cons that you can wall mount. They are up to 2000W output and will blow cold or hot, just plug into a normal socket. They cost around 50TL.  The are OK for smallish spaces, bedrooms or bathroom but I don't think they would be sufficient to warm or cool a large space. For that you could get ceiling fans, or free standing fans and also big electric heaters on stands. You can also buy small oil filled free standing radiators, don't know the costs or output on those though.

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
Thanks Lee.

Offline barry44544

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 20:18:45 PM »
Well.. I think that may be confusing! portable and fixed dont match up.
Its easy to mistake air cooling with air conditioning.
The portable unit's in the shops are on wheels and have exhaust hoses that have to hang out the window or through a wall.
They cost between 800tl-1200tl.
Koc tas sell a smaller version that sells at 450tl.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 20:48:17 PM »
We had a portable one in the UK before we moved to Turkey - it had the hose thing and was quite good - we were living in the tropical south rather than the ice age north - but it was only good for a room of around 14m2 max, anything bigger it's effectiveness plummeted fast. I know that different powers of units and different room sizes are relevant of course, my point is that they become as good as useless very quickly if you try to make them do a little more than they are designed to.

Offline Julesp

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 21:40:56 PM »
When I enquired around the various shops here a couple of years ago I was told yes they can get me one, they cost around 1000 tl, but they didnt recommend as they are not upto the job here, they will not work efficiently and will soon burn out from overwork, Needless to say I didnt bother and actually prefer not having aircon nowadays, I had a unit in every room in my old place, I find it makes you feel even hotter when you go out and prevents you from acclimatising

But if you need aircon while on holiday, which I can understand, why not get a unit fixed permanently? They are much better and cheaper than the mobile ones and are not a hassle to have plumbed in
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 21:43:29 PM by Julesp »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 21:56:02 PM »
The DeLongi Pinguino PAC N90.B is a genuine stand-alone air con unit. It's available in Turkey but it'll cost you about 1,000 TL. As mentioned previously, you'd probably be better off having a unit permanently installed.

Offline starman™

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
Koctas were selling some for around 600 lira last summer. We got 2 of them but have decided to sell them as they make a huge racket and the amount of water they remove from the air is amazing. They fill a bucket in 8 hours.

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
Thanks again all, much appreciated. I'll think I'll take a look at the permanent fixture option.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 13:04:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by barry44544

Well.. I think that may be confusing! portable and fixed dont match up.
Its easy to mistake air cooling with air conditioning.
The portable unit's in the shops are on wheels and have exhaust hoses that have to hang out the window or through a wall.
They cost between 800tl-1200tl.
Koc tas sell a smaller version that sells at 450tl.

The units I mentioned are not permanently fixed, just hung on a couple of screws. As you say they are not actually air CONDITIONERS as such, more aircooler/heaters, like fan heaters.

I was replying on the basis that the original poster did not want the expense of fixed, plumbed units but just something to cool or heat the place for short periods of time.

I have learned something myself from this thread as I was not aware of actual portable proper air cons. So thanks folks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf