Author Topic: Prices in H 2012  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Prices in H 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
Being out for the first week of May made it easy for us to compare things - we used to holiday there the first week of May before we moved. Calis is definitely much quieter than it used to be in 2003 for example - I remember we had to place our hands on the girl's shoulders just to guide them in and out of the crowds on the prom, and sometimes struggle to spot a spare table in the restaurant you had decided to use that night. Yes, in May!

The other very noticeable thing is that the season start of May 1st seems to have slipped for the businesses. We are all used to the Belediye and such deciding to start digging up the roads just before the tourists arrive but the hotels and bars were always ready for the 1st. This time many hadn't got ready on time - even the Mutlu was hastily putting together their new pool/garden bar (which was entirely closed for all but one day of our stay), and there was evidence that several other places didn't make the 'deadline'. Calis Boat excelled, first boat not till 10am and the last to Fethiye, all week, FIVE O'CLOCK!!! Some of the busiest boats I remember were the 6pm-7pm ones taking people over to eat out in Fethiye, and they were always busy enough coming back too - but someone decided 5pm was the last service for the first week of May.

Flight prices do have something to do with it, we need an Aegean or some other new kid on our block to stir things up for FTC, Easyjet etc. Until that happens I can't see much competition for business. Hisaronu/Ovacik seem to compete by offering cheap hotels - I've highlighted rooms on here at £2-£4 per night PER DOUBLE ROOM (i.e. £1 a night per person!) but it's not working - you can pay £50-£60 per room in Spain, Greece or Portugal and with flight costs added still get a much cheaper holiday.

The whole rip off feeling comes from the final nail in the coffin - the local economics which dictate that across the season, a certain figure of turnover/profit must be achieved. It's a very simple principle - if tourist numbers half, prices have to double.

It doesn't work either.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Prices in H 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
The "we're getting fewer customers so let's charge them more" attitude certainly isn't unique to Turkey. The owners of the M6 Toll Road have just announced a £41.6m annual loss and a 10.2% reduction in traffic, so their solution is to further increase toll charges.

http://www.commercialmotor.com/latest-news/%C2%A341.6m-annual-loss-for-m6-toll-owner

Offline Libra

Prices in H 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
I wonder how ( or if ) EURO 2012 and the London Olympics will influence tourism.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
Prices in H 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 13:42:09 PM »
What more people going away :)

Offline thebillet

Prices in H 2012
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 20:06:01 PM »
I think the other factor in all this is the internet; with sites like Travelzoo sending very tempting emails each week and Tripadvisor offering a review facility you can certainly make some pretty informed choices about where you go and what you are likely to get for your money. I can't imagine some of the changes people will comment on regarding Hisaronu will have folk enthralled.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf