Author Topic: 02/Turkcell  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Linda1953

02/Turkcell
« on: June 21, 2006, 14:14:08 PM »
I have a nokia flip open mobile, sorry dont know a great deal about mobile phones. I had it unlocked when I came to Fethiye and used 2 Turkcell SIMs without problems.  When I went over to Rhodes I put my O2 SIM because I had about £20 on it and thought I could use it all up while I had the chance.  When I got back and changed back to Turkcell I noticed on one of my Turk Sims the text messaging service had gone off but I could phone from it.: :) Then several days later I could do nothing with that Turkcell SIM at all.    Then a day or two later my other SIM would not work.  So I went hairing around several Turkcell shops asking why my SIMs had been closed only to be told they were still active and as it was my phone that was the problem. :-\  :o

It seems to me that 02 may or may not have locked my phone again so that I could not use my Turkcell SIMs.  I have had to buy another mobile and so far they are both ok.  

I can phone the UK on this mobile and even use a Virgin SIM I have which means its unlocked for the UK but not unlocked now for Turkey.  Can anyone explain to me what has happened here? My phone was pay as you go not a contract with O2.  

Can I get this mobile unlocked again? How many times can a mobile be unlocked??

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
02/Turkcell
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 14:32:06 PM »
Generally O2 phones are unlocked.

Just to make sure you may consider unlocking the phone yourself. just type 'unlock plus the mobile make and model' in google and you will find plenty of sites

Steve

Offline Linda1953

02/Turkcell
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 17:36:39 PM »
Thanks Steve!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
02/Turkcell
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 20:41:01 PM »
Some of the card providers will lock your phone if you have not topped it up for a period of time.Star Cep is one that does this. It seems that it does not matter if you still have credit on the phone. If this is the case just buy another top up card of the lowest denomination...activate it and you are back in business and you do not lose the credit that was on the phone. :)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
02/Turkcell
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 22:25:29 PM »

Offline Linda1953

02/Turkcell
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:54:22 AM »
Thanks chaps but there does not seem to be any free support for unlocking my Nokia 6101 unless I'm blind and cant see it! LOL

Offline Linda1953

02/Turkcell
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:08:39 AM »
Checked again and this phone is virtually impossible to unlock - many threads on this! So my advice is DONT BUY THE NOKIA 6101.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
02/Turkcell
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 19:08:35 PM »
Linda

Have a word with Savas' in the Bus Stop . He's a whizz with mobiles.

Offline booo

02/Turkcell
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 08:56:14 AM »
Hi
My sister also lives in Turkey and was using her Samsung phone from England with a Turkcell sim card and it has also suddenly been locked. Once they are locked you can't use a Turkish sim card again with the phone.
She was told that the government are systematically locking the english phones that have the turkish sim cards by tracing the registration number inside the phone. Apparently the reason for this is because a lot of English people are getting their phones stolen so they are trying to clamp down on it, in the future will just be able to use phones bought in Turkey.
Mine is okay at the moment but I use Telsim, my sister used Turkcell and her phone was previously O2 so maybe they are doing them first.
Rubbish I know but I hope this helps.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
02/Turkcell
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 13:52:39 PM »
I can confirm that Boo- had a nokia with a Avea sim- a few problems this time with it being locked etc but managed to sort it- the phone shops weren't particularly helpful but as Jukebox mentioned above Savash at buststop sorted it. Have left it in Turkey with my brother in law for this week,  apparantly they got a text to say it was going to be locked becasue they were using an unregistered phone! So theyre really clamping down.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf