Author Topic: Locking English mobiles  (Read 13168 times)

Offline 1gor2don

Locking English mobiles
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »
We went through all this at the end of last year when we all had to register our phones. We were getting text messages from Turkcell which apparently were saying that our phones would automaticaly be registered unless we answered the text to say dont do it. Does anyone know if they actually did, I never got around to checking.
I assumed that was the end of it, there was an article in the Land of Lights last year which gave details of the website you could visit to check if your phone is registered I keep it for a long time then threw it away recently because I thought the panic was over. Does antone have the web site address and instructions?
If this dreaded message arrives, who is it from and roughly what does it say, as I tend to delete all text messages I receive in Turkish.

Offline karenChris

Locking English mobiles
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »
Maybe some of our Turkish speaking members could obtain the reasons and what we have to do by visiting www.turkcell.com all of our families phones were registered but some have been cut off and some not.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Locking English mobiles
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 13:07:34 PM »
Apart from the last post which still leaves you uncertain.....no one has said if their phone was registered or not, which is obviously very relevant. We were told to register them last year and what would happen if they were not. So if you didn't and it has been locked it would seem that is down to you. :)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Locking English mobiles
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 13:35:23 PM »
I had to get a new sim card last month for the phone. Asked about registering the phone & chap just shrugged his shoulders. Is mine likely to be turned off too? Paid just 20YTL for sim + 100 units but should I have paid more to register it also. Can you still register the phone now?
Linda

Offline mibur

Locking English mobiles
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 14:42:04 PM »
Lindacarl,
like you I had to buy a new sim card, paid the same amount and also asked about registering the phone and was told no need!
We are not back again until later in the year so will see if the phone still works! If not, I will try another sim or buy a phone over there. i have looked on the Turkcell web site but I can't see anything on there about registering your phone. Maybe I am not looking hard enough!!!!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Locking English mobiles
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 14:59:25 PM »
Maybe I am cynical but just maybe the shop would rather you had a new Turkish phone than for him to register yours.[?]:-\

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Locking English mobiles
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 15:15:53 PM »
You cynical Brian? Never!!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Locking English mobiles
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 15:26:07 PM »
Thank you number one fan!.....I have just emailed The Fethiye Times who were very informative on this previously to see if they can throw any light on the matter. As a matter of interest my phone was registered and it seems is still working. :)

Offline maybe

Locking English mobiles
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 12:16:04 PM »
How do you register a phone?  I promised an old handset to someone when I'm next over so I should really get it sorted out, just to be on the safe side.  It would be awful to give it and find they can't use it.  

B

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Locking English mobiles
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »
I just bought a sim card at the Avea shop in Fethiye. They registred it for me and it worked as soon as I got back to the villa and popped it in the phone. You need your passport with you when you purchase it but if you forgret it they will find a way around it for you - or at least they did for me.

Stoop

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf