Author Topic: Dalyan Diamond Centre  (Read 3644 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« on: June 25, 2007, 20:40:09 PM »
We took the Mud Bath trip last Thursday (with Seaside Tours) and the first stop was the Diamond Centre in Dalyan.

As usual they offer to clean your jewelery whilst you 'browse' the diamonds. Then they pounce on you!

We ended up looking at a diamond ring which was, according to the salesman, a VVSI 0.9ct ring - for those that do not understand diamonds a VVSI is a very very good diamond with 'Very Very Slight Inclusions' which can only be detected by the very trained eye at 10 times magnification. The next best diamond is almost a flawless one!

Well - I asked for the magnifying glass and proceeded to check the stone. I could see a rather large black inclusion very easily (so too did Maggie and our friends). I mentioned this and said it was a poor diamond and not a VVSI. The reply was that it was a VVSI and I could check on their chart which they brought in for me to look at.

Indeed on their chart it did resemble a VVSI however I continued to tell them I knew a bit about diamonds and that I was convinced it was not a VVSI. Suddenly they stopped trying to sell me anything and turned their attention to our friends.

I've checked again just now and I can only conclude that they have made up their own Diamond Chart which is a total fabrication - so I would be very careful when buying anything of value from these people.

If anyone is interested or intends to spend a lot of money on a diamond ring - I recommend checking out the many sites available on the quality of diamonds - this one will do for starters:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000062973

Be careful out there and remember the lights in the shops are designed to make them sparkle!

They wanted £1800 for a dodgy diamond ring which looked great in the light and to the naked eye!

;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:25:48 AM by stoop »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 11:00:44 AM »
I would have to say if I was spending that amount of money on a diamond the last place I would consider buying it is in Turkey.
My husband bought me a ring on our first trip and  it needed altered.  they took a bit out of it and it didn't last six months before it split. I don't suit big flashy rings and I tried it on it was a lovely little ring but after alteration it actually looked cheap.  Our suspicion is that there was one for show and others for sale.
Jewellery we had made for our daughter didn't last the course either.
Last time we bought gold in Turkey.
Jewellers in Hisaronu.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 22:54:07 PM »
Interesting Heather. I know people who buy lots of diamond jewelery from Turkey but they are careful to check the quality first.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 23:32:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

Interesting Heather. I know people who buy lots of diamond jewelery from Turkey but they are careful to check the quality first.

I am sure they have Stoop and if they know what they are doing they probably get great bargains.
I have to admit I am not a big jewellery person and tend to prefer plainer pieces.
I have heard of people who have had their jewellery valued and got real bargains but I wasn't one of the lucky ones.
Win some lose some-story of my life :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:45:02 AM »
I know one couple who have always bought from the same jeweler in Olu and he lets them bring the pieces home to get valued before going back to pay for them. Now that's my type of jeweler.

The big diamond centres know that they will probably only get one chance to sell to you so they pull out all the stops. The ring cleaning is a classic - they take your expensive (or not as the case may be) jewelery away from you and then make you sit through a sales pitch - keeping your stuff as long as they think they have a chance of a sale. My advice - keep your rings on your fingers and get them cleaned in the UK.

Stoop

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:14:56 AM »
We made the mistake a couple of years ago of going to the Dalyan carpet place. It was awful. Once they unlocked the doors from the carpet "sales room" we bolted as quck as we could but I got seperated from my husband and I ended up in the diamond shop. I had to be so rude to get away from them- I felt bad afterwards but there is no way you can browse. Nick is the master he enjoys being able to pretend that he is seriously interested and then after 10 minutes of them chatting -he just says no thanks and walks away. To him it's a game! Trouble is it didn't work when we stopped to look at apartments, next thing we'd bought one and we'd only gone out for breakfast!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »
I don't think 'browse' is in the Turkish dictionary!!! If only they knew how much more stuff they could sell if they let you women look first and not hassle you.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 13:01:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

I don't think 'browse' is in the Turkish dictionary!!! If only they knew how much more stuff they could sell if they let you women look first and not hassle you.

Totally agree with that Stoop. Then again my husband can't stand the Jeans stores here because they are always asking if he needs help.
He ends up walking out and sending me.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 18:59:38 PM »
Yalnizca bakiyorum.........I am just browsing. :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Dalyan Diamond Centre
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 23:17:54 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tribalelder

Yalnizca bakiyorum.........I am just browsing. :)

OK -it might be in the dictionary but not in the vocabulary.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf