Author Topic: Calis, fethyie or Olu Denize- advice Pls  (Read 9080 times)

Offline jonjac

« on: September 29, 2007, 17:35:27 PM »
Hi Everyone,

We've decided to change our 'usual' canarian Holiday destination for our 2008 Hols and would appreciate some advice.
Which resort is best for a couple in their 40's (just) with 2 young kids (12/14).

A bit about us

- we liked Altinkum but hated Marmaris
- dad + eldest daughter like snorkling
- mum + youngest daughter like beach+paddling
- no-one into jetskis or anything 'too' energetic but would like something like a water park for kids
- mum+dad like some 'unspoilt'/'tradition' sights + tours but like the comfort of good resturants etc
- we like some nightly entertainment but hate places like blackpool or extreme touristy.

We know its a lot to ask thats why we've come to the experts/ the epople who live there so should know best
Thanks for any info.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Calis, fethyie or Olu Denize- advice Pls
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 18:34:33 PM »
Here we go, time to uset the Calis(ites)...lol

Olu Deniz ticks all the boxes.

Snorkelling in the blue lagoon,great fun, plenty to see,  can even safely take a pedalo out on the lagoon, Dad and Daughter snorkell Mum and others lap up the scenery and have fun boating.

very very safe for paddling in the lagoon, soft sandy beach, (unless you take the Nature Reserve point, still fantastic.   The actual main beach at Olu deniz is stoney, but much much cleaner than Calis.  By this is it one of the better kept beaches in the area.  

A short bus ride to Hisaronu (5 min tops) is a small Aqua Park.

Restaurants, you cant go wrong in Calis, Fethiye, Hisaronu or Olu Deniz, you will be spoilt for choice.

Now to upset the Hisaronu(noo noo's). if you like night life but not Blackpool, Stay in Olu Deniz, and don't venture into Hisaronu at night (you guessed, not my favourite place).  All hotels in Olu Deniz give very good entertainment.

(no bias here, I live near to Calis Beach)

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 23:21:02 PM »
Fethiye, Calis or Oule a Deniz will tick most of your boxes. There is not a lot in it as everwhere is so easy to get around. Consider 3 days car hire (about £75) to give you the most flexibility.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:35:30 AM »
Calis has some really nice hotels and restuarants.  There is a waterpark and would give you a quiet holiday.  Trips can be arranged with tour guys.  great for a lazy holiday.
Hisaronu has some great restuarants and bars. It also has a water park. It is definately livelier than Calis.  We stayed there for several years.  Our routine was Off to Olu denis or a trip.  Changed, dinner then a wander round the shops or just a stroll up and down the street, then back to the hotel where there was always something going on in the bar.
I like Hisaronu for the shops. It is easy to escape the tackier side by choosing a nice hotel that has a quieter atmosphere.
"Holidays uncovered" have reviews on most of the hotels.  Or for peace a villa??
If you like site seeing and exercise take a walk from Hisaronu to Kaya village. Lovely walk through a pine forest.  That can also be done on Horseback and I believe Quad bikes.  Loads of boat trips from Olu Denis and Fethiye.  Dolmus buses to all Olu, Kaya,Fethiyeand Calis.
I have never stayed in Olu Denis but when I first booked for Turkey that was my first choice and I was advised that as I am not great with heat that Hisaronu being higher up the mountain is a bit more comfortable heat wise.  

Offline Eric

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:05:15 AM »
I would recomend Olu Deniz as well as it ticks all of the boxes.
Had many years of great holidays there but if you do not like loud night life avoid Hisaranou.
Fi

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 19:48:25 PM »
olu

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
Agree with Loz- Olu defo ticks all the boxes. Basically Calis is a long strip of shingle beach lined by bars and restaurants. Its never packed it closes at 12 on the prom with a couple of minor exceptions and if you want more lively bars you need to walk over a bridge which is almost ready to collapse.
On the other hand- the sunsets are fantastic the breeze a Godsend and the people warm and welcoming. You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Offline jonjac

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 19:23:28 PM »
Thanks everyone, the wife likes the sound of Olu Denize,

Any places to avoid or any places to aim for (hotel wise)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 20:12:49 PM »
the following link was first posted by Kayakoyoldboy, this interactive map will help you chosing your hotel.  The only problem with the map, when you hold the mouse over a hotel it appears in the top right corner, my screen is not that big and I tend to lose the image.

http://www.oludenizmap.com/map.html

My personal favourite (before it went all-incl) was the beach front hotel "Belcekiz Beach"  

Not all hotels are on the map, but it gives you a fair choice.

Offline jonjac

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 08:33:20 AM »
What a fantastic map !!!
WOW - i wish we'd seen this before -

Why have you lot been hiding this place - silly question

Next stop - holiday booking form  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf