Author Topic: Bullbars, Crash Helmets & Seat Belts  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Bullbars, Crash Helmets & Seat Belts
« on: March 24, 2008, 17:39:33 PM »
Following on from my recent post on bull bars (nothing personal Tel, hope you sell your car lol) it occurred to me that they are banned across the EU, and in the UK a fine of £20,000 can be imposed (or 12 months imprisonment).

This is because they are extremely dangerous in a collision with a pedestrian, especially children:

A 1998 report by the University of Adelaide found that the damage to a child's head when struck by a Toyota Prado equipped with a small-diameter steel bullbar was 10 to 15 times worse than the damage inflicted without one.

``In practical terms, a pedestrian hit by a vehicle equipped with a steel bullbar will be seriously hurt or killed at speeds much lower than those that are usually fatal,'' it concluded.

Isn't it time Turkey banned them too? It's not up to us to tell them what to do, but this, along with a serious attempt to make wearing of seat belts and crash helmets compulsory would result in the saving of a lot of needless deaths and the resulting grieving of losses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf