Author Topic: 4 Years in Calis Today  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
4 Years in Calis Today
« on: April 09, 2008, 19:14:15 PM »
On April 9th 2004 we arrived, bewildered and knackered, on a one way ticket to Calis [:o]

In that time lots of things have changed and most importantly I have learned a hell of a lot. Our future plans for the business are strong and we'll stick with the revolutionary theme  ;). There has been plenty of good, more than a fair share of bad - but whereas some people say things like "everything happens for a reason" - I tend to think more like "nothing defines where you are today more than where you were yesterday" - and where we are today is pretty exciting in itself.

All in all, it's been a four years that we got a hell of a lot from, not least having two very happy girls who are bilingual, enjoying being kids (not growing up too fast!) and for us, we have met some of the most awesome, loyal and helpful people imaginable. I'd like to do an Oscar style list but that would bore you and you always forget someone and they get upset  ;)

Just thought I'd share our anniversary with you  :)

Offline Brandi

4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 19:19:42 PM »
Happy anniversary and thank you for all your hard work. I for one have benefitted enormously from your kind, open, honest and sharing ways

Offline Fettlers

• Warrington, UK
4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 19:22:53 PM »
Here's to many more happy years for you all Keith. Best wishes Debbie

Offline julesbob0303

4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 19:29:40 PM »
Many congratulations to you and your family.  You're doing what most of us WISH we were doing!  All the very best to you for your continued happy life in Turkey.

Julie, Garry & Family

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 19:30:33 PM »
Were you this much of a philosopher before you arrived in Calis or has it crept up on you since you got there? Whatever, I am pleased for you on your happy move and thank you for sharing. I hope for some of the same when I get to share my life between two continents.

P.S. I used to be bilingual when I was young but mostly lost one language and am now a monoglot (ugly word to describe most British folks). I am sure this won't happen to your twins.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 19:32:53 PM »
congrats to you all

Offline saoirse

4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 19:37:33 PM »
Scunner what would you say has changed the most in the past 4 years in Calis or indeed living in Turkey in general?

Offline heatherhanum

4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 19:38:22 PM »
Good luck to you and your family. I hope the future continues to be full of adventures, good ones of course.
I am so glad I found this forum as I never feel far away from Calis, and i feel that I have made some friends.
Happy Anniversary, now get the chocolate biscs out for your girls.
Heather

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 20:00:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by saoirse

Scunner what would you say has changed the most in the past 4 years in Calis or indeed living in Turkey in general?

I'd say that is a very difficult one to answer  :-\

Turkey hasn't really changed too much, I suppose the main changes to Calis/Fethiye were to be expected. I was out today and went past an undeveloped plot not far from the graveyard which had very little on it - two Turkish women, a couple of cows (that is a continuation of the list, not a view on the two Turkish women), some chickens and piles of sticks - it was like a flashback to me, you used to see that everywhere in and around Calis. Now, thanks to developers and estate agents (  :-\ ) it has all but gone.

With success and expansion comes money, the root of most evil in the World and it is money that causes most of the squabbling and fall outs between bars, restaurants etc. and also between individuals - even speaking personally, if I wasn't as trusting as I am, and if I didn't lend people money when they were desperate I'd have a fair bit more in the bank now. That is a real shame because money didn't seem as important 4 years ago - maybe it was, who knows. I have always made no secret of the fact that doing business here is hard, even scary sometimes - and there is only one thing worse than being in business and that is being successful in business! In the main the Turks don't mind, many British just have to slur, slander and gossip.  

It's not all bad changes, and with that comes another debate in my head - it is fantastic to see the municipal investment in the area, the increasing Fethiye seafront promenade, the Gocek tunnel, the block paving and surfacing of roads, but in a strange way sometimes I miss the cows and dusty tracks.

It's a brilliant place to holiday, it's a great place to retire to, so do one of those, don't go into business and don't lend anybody any money  ;)

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
4 Years in Calis Today
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 20:02:59 PM »
Congratulations Scunner,( I to used to be bilingual but fortunately I have lost the neanderthal.)
All the best for your future.  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf