Author Topic: The Gossip and Scaremongering That Hurts Turkey  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The Gossip and Scaremongering That Hurts Turkey
« on: April 17, 2008, 16:31:49 PM »
Gossip and rumourmongering is all part of life here, it's best to disregard all of it. But lately it appears to be not about individuals, it's about the country itself.

I hear almost daily now another scare story. Don't buy here, you'll never be able to sell. Anyone who has bought here will only be able to sell to a Turk because Brits can't buy anymore, and Turks won't pay anything like what you had to pay. Don't go over the metal bridge after dark, it is likely you will be mugged. It used to be a great place to live but not anymore, don't think about moving here. I know what it is really like, I have to live here. And so it goes on.

You see, the usual suspects in the usual bars are happy with their lot, and want to lift up the drawbridge. It was ok for them to buy here, or move here full time but they don't want any more Brits now. Strangely, it is so bad that they are actively looking for potential buyers to clamp onto to give them the "real story" of Calis and Fethiye. Strange because the way they describe the place makes you wonder why the hell they are still here themselves.

At the end of the day, this selfish and devious group aren't going to cause people like me any hardship. If I don't sell another property in Turkey in my life I'll be just fine. So will most others who sell or build properties.

But for the guy who puts food on his table because he works 14 hours a day carrying bricks up 3 flights of stairs, this practice is a deadly serious threat.

To peddle such venomous lies, in the hope of preventing people from investing in the country they decided upon will, if it continues, cause great hardship to many.

It would be pleasant if the people doing this could reflect on that, and allow others to follow the same dream they did - and it would also be nice if people hearing such cr4p could just ignore it, or ask these people why, if it is that bad, they don't just bugger off.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 16:38:18 PM »
:DBeen there heard it got the earache, asked the same question got the same answer, and replied with "if I could move to Calis tomorrow I would,"they were probably the same in England as they are there, which is why they wont go back, Sheisters and sad sacks ,:P

Offline mikew

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 17:11:32 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more Mr S.Have you & Yetkin thought of offering them a small discount off your very reasonable fees if they want to sell up?

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 17:15:30 PM »
How many points would I give these rumourmongers !
NIL.    :D

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 17:24:27 PM »
If there is one thing I cannot bear its people putting Calis and surrounding areas down. I for one will tell anyone I hear to bugger off. I love the place and it's our piece of Paradise; if they dont like it they should pack up and clear off. Ohhhh thats got me going off on one now.
Heather

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 17:36:40 PM »
I know one estate agent who had agreed a sale with a British family and left in a highly excited state to celebrate - with contracts to be signed the next morning. Next morning the excitement had gone, they had heard some fairly shocking things while out savouring their success, and pulled out.

The agent is a gentleman through and through (I'm not sure if he would like to be named), has made many dreams come true in Calis/Fethiye, which is his family home town. Sadly, some of the people who made his home town theirs too, chose to directly affect his livelihood and with it the livelihood of many others, from building site labourers to restaurant owners, taxi drivers, curtain makers etc etc etc

How the hell can that be acceptable?

Offline jackstee

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 17:44:00 PM »
Hi All,
Don't know Calis but.

Lived in Turkey from 88 - 2000 with a small brake for 18 months in the middle. Since then lived in Cairo,Indonesia,Oman and presently in Pakistan.

It's amazing how many people as us "Really, why" when we tell them that in May we are off to Turkey to buy a smal house as our main and only property. But here, in Islamabad, we meet many Turks in the UN Club     ( One of the few places to go with booze)They know why we are going there and it's a good feeling that they are also pleased that we would go there to spend , basically, the rest of our lives.

So just ignor the wallies, we know what it's all about, thats why we will be there next month.

Steve & Jackie

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 17:44:47 PM »
It is a "type" you are descibing Scunner.
They will never be happy as they are unable to think the way of the people of the counrtry they have moved to.

Quite a few years ago it was fashionable to move to Scotland.  They sold a shed down south and bought a castle up here.
I stayed in a village in Fife at the time and they came in bought big houses and then went on to organise the locals and show them how to enjoy themselves.
Most folk in a village are there because that is the kind of life they chose.

This is not a reflection on English people it is a reflection of a "type"
Hubby aslo told me about some sitting in a cafe on the side of Loch Rannoch moaning about the weather. Duh it is Scotland!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 19:17:25 PM »
I can only assume that some of the people that come here and then moan about it, hadn't spent much time here before buying, and only looked on it as a cheap place to live.....

I for one, fell in love with the lifestyle and the people.  Not to mention the stunning scenery.  I hasten to add I also did my homework.

The people who moan ought to go back to the UK.  Likewise the people who live in the UK and moan should pack up and go back to their country of origin.  As for those that are a 'type', maybe they ought to realise they are spoiling their lives and the lives of those around them.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 19:28:14 PM »
What life would that be Lynne?  
These 'types' are quite happy to lead their sad, empty lives bemoaning everything around them be it in Turkey or elsewhere.  It's when poor unsuspecting people get caught up in their web of lies that the problems arise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf