Author Topic: The Gossip and Scaremongering That Hurts Turkey  (Read 7461 times)

Offline baklavalover

The Gossip and Scaremongering That Hurts Turkey
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 19:32:24 PM »
Yes well the Costa del Sol is full and they don't want the same to happen here !! The Type you are discussing I think are the same ones who constantly slag of the Turks......from the way they dress to the standard of workmanship etc etc.  I am sick and tired of hearing that "they" dont do this and "they are like that" etc etc and to be honest, it makes me avoid most expats here. They don't try and understand the culture or even try and learn the language a little.  You are right Rindaloo, they should sodding well go home ........and I bet they are the ones who critisize the Poles or whoever for wanting Polish food...............anyway, Im just off up to Hisaronu for me fish and chips   lol

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 20:03:02 PM »
OK Ann I get y our point.  The 'type' are happy wallowing in their woes.  What a waste of a life.  But please don't do it here. OK Turkey isn't perfect, where is?  But I think it is lovely here.  Each day is an experience.  I feel so lucky to be here.  You can choose to concentrate on the negatives or ignore them and enjoy so much else.  I have made my choice.

I think it is a pity these people were put off of Turkey so easily by one evening's conversation with some moaning minnies.  I know I had to be 100% committed to this move and I wouldn't have been put off so easily...  But then, maybe they weren't really committed, eh?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 20:06:51 PM »
Maybe I'll never know, but if I was 24 hours from buying abroad and someone from my homeland took me to one side and painted a pretty gruesome picture of the place, I reckon I'd listen. They are, apparently, very convincing.

Offline buddy

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 20:45:11 PM »
Well Scunner, as you know we are in the process of buying our dream little 'place in the sun'. We first came out to Turkey last August and fell in love with the people, the country, and the culture, and knowing several friends who had bought properties in Calis, decided to have a look for ourselves. We came in February, deliberately to see the town at what we thought would be it's quietest, and it was fairly quiet, but we still loved it and the people we met. So we had no hesitation in commiting what little capital we had in a place of our own, and this is our place, not an investment or a business venture to buy to let, we are there because we hope to stay for a long time. As Rindaloo said perhaps they were'nt that commited in the 1st place.
Thanks for your help in achieving our dream.

Offline Fettlers

• Warrington, UK
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 20:50:17 PM »
I agree with you there Keith, as you well know it is a huge step and a massive financial commitment as it is, and one that very unfortunately I bottled out of when the pressure was on and we had to make a decision. Added negative comments from outsiders " supposedly in the know " would have sent me running it back to Dalaman! Debbie

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 20:53:25 PM »
Having been a  seasoned traveller over the last  forty five years, the one thing I learnt  early on was to avoid the Brits, they seem to have the habit of wanting to change where
ever they settle into a little england, for this reason I have never been to the spanish mainland and I have been put of going to Calis for the same reason.
   Having said that I have found Turkey to be the exception to the rule, the majority of Brits I have met in Turkey seem to be genuinely interested in the country, the culture and the people and seem to have a genuine love of the country and would not wish to change it. Through this Forum I have come to realise that the expats and regular visitors
to Calis have the same  love of Turkey and the Turks that I do and I am looking forward to finally visiting Calis and meeting Forum members. Unfortunately there are more people moving to Turkey who have no regard for its people or traditions and see buying as an investment  opportunity only, thankfully they are in the minority and tend to
gravitate to each other, as long as this Forum exists as a counterpoint to such people  a truer picture of the situation will be there for all to see. 8)

Offline ECHOSTAR

• Uk and Sky Tv no Problem
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 20:57:01 PM »
i am quite suprised why are these people here prehaps they cannot go back for one reason or another your be suprised, this type of person sits in a bar all days nothing else better to do but gossip back stabbing you name it, it's just getting like spain thats a shame you get some right Wa*k*rs and we seem to have more than are fair share.they can't be bothed to learn turkish and rely the turks speaking english.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 21:11:54 PM by ECHOSTAR »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 21:19:16 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

if I was 24 hours from buying abroad and someone from my homeland took me to one side and painted a pretty gruesome picture of the place, I reckon I'd listen.

Yes, but would you really?  Surely if you were going to move abroad, you would have made your mind up on the evidence you gathered for yourself.  If you were 24 hours from committing legally to a property, surely you had already found out enough about the place to commit mentally.  Surely you wouldn't back out on the say so of some whingeing poms in a bar.

When we decided to move here we had all sorts of reactions and advice, some negative and some positive.  But if I had always done what others advised me to do, not only would I not have lived MY own life but what would it have said about my own judgement?

Living here isn't for everyone, that's true.  You have to do your research and make an educated decision.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 21:26:12 PM »
Like I said Rinda  ;) I can't know for sure because it hasn't happened but I do honestly think I would listen. Someone took a risk before I did, I am inspecting the possibility of taking the same risk - it would be hard not to take on board some negativity from such a person. I'm not saying I would be right, I'm saying I would probably take a third party opinion as well meant rather than sinister.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 21:39:13 PM »
Surely you would go on more than just one persons experience though.   For every 10 people that moan there are 50+ that love it here.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf